If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first summer with ICD

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

ise2425 Find out more about ise2425
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first summer with ICD

i just came home from a 6 week adventure tour to Israel, after just having my ICD for 2 months. The trip was amazing, and the ICD wasn't an issue at all, it felt good to have it as it shifted worries off my shoulder. I was on long hikes and I never had to have the ICD go off, so that was good. just wanted to show the ICD is an awesome thing, IMO and that it only can help. have a gr8 summer everyone!

Steven

Re: first summer with ICD

I am currently trying to decide whether or not to have an ICD put in. What were your risks causing you to get your ICD. How bad is your scar. How long was it before you could drive, lift, etc?
    2.6 Septal Measurement
    ICD Aug 2010 (pushed into it over 6 abnormal beats...hate it!!!)
    "I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"
    ~Steel Magnolia's~

Comment

my risks for getting my ICD was my enlarged septum. I am blessed enough not to have an arrythmia, however i guess my septum was large enough that sudden death was somewhere a fear. With that said, you should know that I'm 16 years old, and pretty active and into sports. Basketball is my favorite sport and I play for up to an hour and a half straight sometimes with very short breaks in between games. So with those risks my dr. decided to load me up with an ICD. My scar is defintely there but not to bad and from far you cant see a bulge or anything, only I know, like a person knowing of a zit. Driving was ok in about 3-4 weeks as well as lifting, as long as it wasnt heavy. After 6 weeks you can lift normally and drive like new. An ICD seems definetly worth the while of it, it can potentially save your life, and is simply an insurance policy. I would be thankful your getting an ICD before something happens than an external one after a serious event.

Steven

Comment

I just got a icd this past march. I guess Im somewhat a baby but it kinda smarted! Its been almost 7 months and the scar is noticeable and a little tender but considering the down side of not having this little personal emt in my chest I dont mind it so much. I havnt been shocked but it has picked up on some unusual activity in my heart and paced my heart into a regular rhythm. Its worth it I feel a little more protected.
        Angela

Comment

Steven and Angela thanks for your responses. I guess I know that I should get it but have been trying to convince myself I dont really need it. I have been telling myself that I am not old enough to really need this but compared to you Steven....I am OLD . Thanks for your post I really needed to hear that! I am really glad that you are able to stay so active and seem to be doing so well. I have worried alot over what if my son has this and cant participate in sports and have the active lifestyle I enjoyed as a teen. You are an inspiration keep up the good work.
          2.6 Septal Measurement
          ICD Aug 2010 (pushed into it over 6 abnormal beats...hate it!!!)
          "I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"
          ~Steel Magnolia's~

Comment

HI STEVEN!

The next time - you are welcome to visit us in Israel!!!
            Glad you enjoy your new friend - The AICD
            who Is also for my son and us - the parents - a very new but close friend!
            Wishes for healh, peace and love!

Daniela E-H, Mother to Matan-Ben (13 years old) who had his AICD implantation (29/03/04) and Myectomy (14/12/08) and Noga (4 years old) not affected
            Haifa - Israel.

Comment

lol thanx for the invitation Daniele, ani mamash rotzeh lavo eleychem! achla. i gtg but its cool 2 see some1 from israel!
              Steven

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X