If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had a pacer put in Tuesday!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

tarheelmm Find out more about tarheelmm
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a pacer put in Tuesday!

I was up and around on Wednesday. Felt a little tired but have taken off of work all this week. I think I am having some palpitations but not sure if it is or just the pace maker kicking in. Can anyone describe what it would feel like?? I would imagine that it should be nothing noticable.

Re: I had a pacer put in Tuesday!

You shouldn't notice your pacer kicking in .....i mean i was paced all the time and never felt it, it was probably palpitations which go along with this disease.... but yes i live in virginia In Norfolk to be exact, fell free to ask anything you would like or you can PM me if you would like...... welcome to the board

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

My husband has a defibrillator with a pacing function. The way they test the battery strength is to pace him. He always feels it and he says it makes him a little disconcerted. You may well be feeling it. Why did you get the pacer? Is it also a debrillator?

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I had just a pacer put in. They did not see the need for the defib at this point. I wore a 30 day monitor and found my heart rate going to 120BPM even at rest. It was also to help with the muscle so it could possibly contract some. It is up to almost 3CM. I know it is only at 50\50 shot but it worth it at this point.

Comment

Welcome, Yes it would be good for you to speak with Lisa and give her all the details that possibly could be missed here in transcription. Details that are specific to your particular case.

Many of us have the combination pacer/defib. Initially my pacer was set at 100% pacing in an attempt to help .I always felt the pacing and still do when it paces on demand.

There are different settings used to try and help the heart by pacing it . It is important to note that per documentation sometimes this exercise is futile and has even led to worsening the condition of the HCM heart in some individuals. There was unfortunately research done that had to be thrown out as the study had inaccurate data. Many electrophysiologists are doing there own data collection to see if they can gather outcomes that can indicate that interval settings that pace the heart can help improve the condition. It would not obviously be beneficial for an HCM patient to end up worse because the the experiment did not work for them.

Lisa can fill you in better. It is very important that you have been or get evaluated and treated by a cardiologist who specializes in caring for and treating HCM patients as there are many variables to this disease.

Read all you can here on the web site and we all look forward to helping you.

Best Wishes.

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thanks for the info Pam. I did not know about the chance the pacer could make things worse. My cardioligist said she had studied HCMin college, not making her an expert, but is there a way to find one that is in my area?

Comment

Welcome to the HCMA. Please give the office at call at 973-983-7429 and we can provide you with more information and even information for your cardiologist.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kelly
              Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

Comment

What’s all this stuff I’m hearing about a pacer?

I bet on a pacer once, but she was beat out by a trotter. That was about when I learned that a mudder ate fodder, and I quit going to the track altogether. With all the cross breading and in-breading going on at the horse farms, I didn’t doubt it at all.

Oh, you didn’t mean horses? Well, - never mind.
                Burt

Comment

I had a defibrillator and pacemaker put in, in July. My pacemaker is not turned up yet, but when the dr. paces my heart it just feels a little funny.

You probably won't even notice it, since your pacemaker is turned on to pace your heart and keep it at a steady beat.

In the long run all will be fine and you won't even know it is there. I put my surgery off for two years because of my fears. I am impressed with myself because I am handling it so well.

Thank God for technology and people that are here to help share with you.

Good Luck

PS Burt is too funny isn't he?

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X