If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Musical ICD

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Laoshur Find out more about Laoshur
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical ICD

Since I got the ICD less than two weeks ago, I have been awakened two or three times by what sounded like music coming from the left side of my chest. I realized when it happened this morning that it sounded like the ICD was recording or doing some computerish thing. Are all ICD's musical? Should I be surprised or do anything when I hear this?

Thanks, Rhoda

Re: Musical ICD

I think some ICDs are programmed to check themselves at a certain time each day. Mine doesn't make noises though. Another thing that would make them chime is if you are too close to a magnet. (not sleeping with magnets are ya ). Just on the safe side check on the net of the company who made it. Many times they have info on it.

Mary S.

Comment

All ICD's have the ability to sound an alarm IF there is a problem with the device. Most will sound every 12 hours. If you have heard any sounds call the doctor and get in to have the device looked at.

Sorry ... but back to the doctors.

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I agree with Lisa. My husband's ICD is set to send out an alarm tone (music) once a day until it's reset. See the doc.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

OK. Glad I asked. I'm off to see the doc (or I think maybe it is the Guidant rep) this afternoon.

Thanks, all!
          Rhoda

Comment

Rhoda, if they can't get rid of the music, at least get them to set it on a station you like. :P
            Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
            So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
            Good luck and stay well.
            Glen

Comment

Rhoda,

Does this noise sound like a little bunny beating on a drum by any chance? Glad to hear you're going to get it checked out! Be sure to stop back and let us know what's going on.

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hi Rhonda
                My ICD is programed to make a sound when the battery is low. Once when I had my ICD checked, I listened to the sound it would make so I would be familiar when I heard it. I was standing in my office (we are located by a very busy highway), when I heard what sounded like a truck or emergency vehicle beeping. I didn't think anything of it even though I heard this tune already, I thought it was a vehicle outside. I turned around and sat at my desk and I could still hear it. It was me!!
                I called the Mayo Clinic and made an appointment to have the battery check and guess what......they had to replace the device.
                Please let us know the outcome of your dr. visit.
                Esther

Comment

Well, the mystery remains. They did not find anything wrong with the ICD, so did I hear something else or did I dream it or what? I promised them that if I heard it again, I'd try to get Ed to listen as well, but it might not give me enough time.
                  Thanks!
                  Rhoda

Comment

Rhoda, did they let you hear what the alarm sounds like so that you can recognize it when it does beep?

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Rhoda,
                      You have to recognize the tune to understand what’s going on.

If it plays, “Tea for Two” – you’re obviously becoming dehydrated.
                      If it plays, “I Just Called to Say I Love You” – everything is operating perfectly.
                      But, if it plays, “Nearer My God To Thee” – it’s time to get help – fast.

Hope this will be of some help to you.
                      Burt

Comment

Burt. You really should go into the business. That was very funny!
                        Leon
                        God Squad co-moderator
                        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Thanks, all, especially you, Bert, for that informative message. Yes, Reenie, they did let me hear the beeps that it makes as it beats, but that is not what I heard. What I heard, or dreamed, or something, was a very faint sound, similar in strength to the tiny beating sound they let me hear, but more like a series of computer tones. There really wasn't any music to them, that was a joke, but neither was it a single tone beep. I guess that that I will just have to wait to see what happens next. I am not at all worried about it. It was not frightening even at the time.

Thanks to all of you for listening to me!
                          Rhoda

Comment

Hi Leon,
                            In my early twenties I did try to break into show business in a comedy team – and I’m eternally grateful that the effort failed.

You work nights, week-ends, holidays, you’re on the road away from home for long periods at a time, and for all this over ninety percent of the comedians starve and have to work second jobs just to get by.

Tell me, is this a job for a Jewish boy?
                            Burt

Comment

Rhoda

I hear something in my bedroom it sounds like an alarm going off it happens at the same time everyday, and if i'm awake i hear it..... well it ended up after tearing my room apart finding it .... it ended up being my husbands old calculator he used when he was a truck driver over the road he set it to remind him to take his meds in the mornings....so i know how you feel i really thought it was my ICD going off for some reason being iwas 100% paced at the time, you take care girl

Shirley
                              Diagnosed 2003
                              Myectomy 2-23-2004
                              Husband: Ken
                              Son: John diagnosed 2004
                              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X