If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

autopsy hcm?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bettie Find out more about Bettie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autopsy hcm?

I have hcm with obstruction and I am 65. My brother died when he was 61. I have seen the autopsy report and it said that his heart weighed 650 grams. It said there
    was mild atherosclerosis manifested by eccentric fibrolipid plaques of the proximal left anterior descending and right main coronary arteries with maximum stenosis is 30 percent. The left ventricle is 3.2 centimeters in thickness. The myo cardium is dark red-brown, very firm, and hypertorphied
    The autopsy findings say.
    1. cardiomegaly with left ventricular hypertrophy
    2. arterionephrosclerosis
    3. mild cornonary atherosclerosis.
    It said that he died of cardiac arrhythmia due to hypertensive disease.
    He died in the morning after he was at work and they were never able to revive him
    The microscopy report said : sections of heart disclose marked single fiber hypertrophy with a mild increase in interstitial fibrosis.
    I'm wondering if this is enough information to say that he had hcm.
    septal myectomy on Jan. 27, 2005

Re: autopsy hcm?

Sounds like it to me. My uncle's autopsy report reads almost exactly like your brother's, and we think that HCM caused his death. Sometimes, HCM isn't recognized for what it really is because it is somewhat unusual and pathologists aren't familiar with it.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Yes, In my opinion yes this looks like HCM. Is someone suggesting it is not?

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

The autopsy report suggests that it was caused by years of hypertension. I sent the report to Dr. Lever, but I haven't heard what he thinks about it yet.
        septal myectomy on Jan. 27, 2005

Comment

Dr Lever is on vacation for 2 more weeks.

The wall measurements are clearly HCM and the heart weight is also clearly HCM.

Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X