If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD Interrogation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

swinand Find out more about swinand
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICD Interrogation

I had my 3 month ICD interrogation yesterday. In the last 3 months I have had 15 "episodes", all non sustained, but several were V-Tach episodes. My IDC is programmed to fire at 165 BPM and a couple of those episodes were at 162/163, just below the threshhold. I have had my ICD since the end of Jan. and I find it interesting that the sensations I have felt most of my life are now documented and identified. The data doesn't lie.
    I am now being scheduled for a NIPS test. I searched the board and found a few posts on this. What I gather is they sedate you, and simulate a V-Fib episode to make the ICD fire. Then they measure the level of shock and the resistance in the leads to determine whether the leads have been compromised by scar tissue or some other cause. Is that about right?? Doesn't sound like alot of fun.
    Also because I have been having these V-Tach arrythmias they are evaluating putting me on Sotolol. I haven't found much on that medication yet other than it can help reduce arrythmias. Dr. Lever has me on Toprol XL now and I am feeling the best I have years. I used to be on Verapamil which made me feel really sluggish and brain dead, and Atenolol before that which had the same effect. So I am hesitant to change medication, I don't want to go back to being a zombie. Anyone have more experience on Sotolol or know where I can get more info? I'm sure other members have also had NIPS tests, any thoughts or words of wisdom?

Re: ICD Interrogation

I don't have any words of wisdom but wanted to wish you luck and say that I'm really happy that you have that little ER in your chest!

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Swinand.

I have been on sotolol for a year and for the most part have done quite well. They will probably want to watch you for a few days as your body adapts to it, because it can create rhythm problems depending on how your body responds. On a bright note it won’t kill you. You have the ICD and thus have that safety net.

Three things that I experienced when I changed over. 1: I virtually never feel PVC’s anymore. They happen, but their intensity is greatly reduced. I am back to being startled when they happen. That means this stuff works well for me. 2: One potential side effect is a build up of uric acid/gout. That happened for me, but after treatment it all went away and I have been fine since the first week. 3: Usually when I have experienced a-fib it has taken from 12-36 hours for me to self-convert. The last time I converted within 5 hours. I am not sure if it was totally due to the sotolol, but perhaps.

Good luck on your decision. Hopefully the ticker will continue ticken and the ICD will not need to fire.

Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Hi, I had my NIPS testing done a couple of weeks ago friday. You'll see the thread on it. I have it done yearly , it is a nice little nap . If they don't need to use the external paddles , it's less discomfort after. ( No burns). It took my Ep a couple of years to see a pattern ; that I go into A-fib after my devise shocks me for the programed arrythmia and now she has found that my devise gets me out of it if it slams down a shock on the rise of the QRS complex ; otherwise the externals have been used. With my last bout of A-fib, they were able to use my AICD to get me out of it, again an advantage to the mild burn from the externals . This recovery was a little tougher , I needed double the dose of anesthetic to put me out. I don't do that well with anesthesia and I had some flu like symptoms for a few days so I attribute it to that. All in all it is not a bad experience. A 1 on a scale of 1-10. I have only had amiodorone so I can't help you with Sotolol , others will though. Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thanks for all your insights and observatons. I will certainly keep these in mind. I'm glad the NIPS test is only a 1 on a 1-10 scale. I was thinking it was a larger event than that. Do you need someone to drive you home afterwards since you are sedated?

Comment

I have not had a NIPS test, but I did just have a minor surgery under sedation. The hospital would not allow me to drive myself for 24 hours, and I didn't feel up to it either. I would get a ride.
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Yes , you are not allowed to drive for approx. 24 hours, due to the effects of anesthesia.
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi. I have been on sotalol for almost two years. I know what you mean by that "zombie" feeling with some of the drugs we take, but as far as the Sotalol goes, I did not have that experience when I switched drugs. I was also very aware of any rhythm disturbance before starting the sotalol but now I don't even feel a pvc. Sotalol has really worked for me.

My two cents,
                Elizabeth

Comment

hey-
                  i go to get my 1-month ICD check on tuesday, very very curious! it seems like a lot of people find they have more issues or episoded]s than they think they do which makes me woder what they will fine. on my 24 hour holter moniter i was totally clear of anything, but i wonder what this will show. *pondering*

well, only one way to find out, we'll see!!!
                  ~janelle*
                  \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

Working...
                  X