If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cell phones & ICD's

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cheerchicken05 Find out more about cheerchicken05
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phones & ICD's

hey- they told me to talk on my cell phone on my right ear and keep it on my right hip because of my ICD. im very concious of it now and im wondering if and of you have had a problem with it or is that just precautionary?
    ~janelle*
    \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Re: Cell phones & ICD's

Janelle---I think it would be great if you could learn to do this. For some reason, I just can't be comfortable using my right ear so use the cell phone on my left side--although I don't use it very often--and have had no problems that I am aware of with my ICD.

Sue in Maryland too

Comment

Janelle - I am totally deaf in my right ear, and also have my ICD on the left. I read the normal instructions for ICD patients after my implant, i.e. to use the right ear for the cell phone, but as you might expect for someone who is deaf on that side, nothing happens when I use the cell phone on the right side!

The rule is that you are supposed to keep the cell phone more than 6 inches away from the device. I initially tried to use an earpiece in my left ear, and in fact, I just bought another one, but I am really lazy to use it. I therefore do use my cell phone held up to my left ear. When you are just holding it but not talking, don't keep it in a chest pocket. I assume that as a girl, you are not likely to do that anyway. We have enough going on up there that we don't need added things like cell phones on our chests.

Anyway, from what I have been told by Medtronic, the worst that will happen if you use your phone on your right ear is that it might keep the ICD from working while your phone is next to it.....but if you had a life threatening arrythmia and were still able to talk on the phone, you would be a very unusual case....If you had an arrythmia that is one that the ICD would treat, you would drop the phone, and then the device would be back in the game to do its job...

So, try to keep the phone away, if you can't, its not that big of a deal. Just try to be aware of it.

Best of luck,

Cynthia
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I use my cell phone on the right side a lot it doesn't seem to affect anything. I've also been bad on one occasion I was trying to get a hold of my cardiologist (go figure) so I put the cell phone in my left scrub pocket. Nothing happened I guess but I ended up in the hospital (blood clot not cardiac). I know if you have a guidant ventak 1880 if there is something too close to it it will start emitting a very low audible tone. I found that out when I was going in for surgery and they had to turn it off.

Just my experience

mary S.

Comment

My Medtronic will also emit a low tone if it is disabled. I had it turned off just last Friday for a surgery, and when we were "practicing" with the magnet, I heard the tone. So, if you hear a tone and you want your ICD to work, move the magnet or telephone or whatever is causing the beep away from the ICD.
          Daughter of Father with HCM
          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
          Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
          ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
          Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

thanks guys...no more paranoya!!!
            i have a guidiant, but they didnt say it would beep (i asked them) unless the battery was dying.

thanks a ton though!!!
            ~janelle*
            \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

Hi
              Mine beeps when it need to be changed. It sounds like a busy signal (like when you call someone on a regular phone or the sound a state truck makes when it is backing up). I was at work standing at the counter, I heard this beeping sound and thought it was a state truck outside, but when I walked away it was still as loud. I then knew it was ME...LOL
              I was told that when I use my cell phone, I should hold it to my right ear. I have never tried the left, so I don't know if there would be any difficulties.
              Esther

Comment

Time for me to come clean. Those who know me can tell you that I am always on the phone - cell or otherwise. I have the bad habit of leaning the phone in my shoulder while taking (bad for your neck!). WELL let me tell you what happens to my cell phone when I lean it on my left shoulder (where my device is)the line gets disrupted and people can not hear me - if I change ears it is fine.
                The moral to this story is YES I think cell phones interfere with devices and I would avoid CLOSE contact.
                Headsets are great ideas and I have recently found one that I really like.

Best wishes
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X