If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better than expected!!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cheerchicken05 Find out more about cheerchicken05
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better than expected!!!

i had my ICD implant on monday, and all seems well. after 9 hours in a waiting room (no joke) i was getting anxious and tense so they gave me some chill-out medicine that helped me relax. the knocked me out, they were planning on keeping me awake but i was out (yay!) and for a half hour after i woke up, i did not shut up. i couldnt!!! the doctors were making fun of me cuz i was so hyper and i was going on and on asking what i did when i was asleep so they made fun of me talking about how i was drooling and snoring and they played with my head. they were all shocked at how young i was too. last night (tuesday night) was the hardest because all the muscles were twitching and it was freakin me out.

so not im just sore as crap and tylenol seems to be doing fine. they used derma-bond (the liquid bandaid stuff) so he said i coulda taken a shower the night of the procedure with no problem. but i didnt cuz it hurt too bad to hold its own weight. but this stuff is awesome. you can see the cut and it only looks like a really nasty cat scratch. they put it in a place where they knew most shirts would cover it, and its really tiny its only like 1 1/2 inches long! and they only put one lead it, its a new kind i guess that they can remove while the other ones you couldnt.

they also gave me a copy of what the defib recorded when they tested it and shocked me in surgery wich is pretty cool, and they gave me a copy that simulates the shape, size & weight of the defib. to show people which is cool.

also my restrictions are sooo much better than i expected!!! i can drive and stuff in a week, he wants me to move my arm a little (brushing my hair and stuff) within that week, annnnd all my arm restrictions and stuff are all out the window in 3 weeks!!! YAY!! i was expecting six..!

so right now being this sore isnt that bad, a lot better than i thought. thank god for tylenol!!
    ~janelle*
    \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Re: Better than expected!!!

Janelle, Happy to hear that all went well for you. And the best part... you are now safer then you were before. It should continue to feel better all the time for you. Relax and enjoy your time of pampering! Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

It sounds kind of silly, but one of the big problems I had after my ICD implant was putting my hair in a ponytail. I am right handed, so I could use the brush ok, but try to group your hair together for the rubber band without raising your arm above your shoulder!

Anyway, you should use your arm normally right away, but do be careful not to raise it above your shoulder too soon. You don't want to dislodge your lead.

What kind of device did you get? Did they tell you the make and model? I have a Medtronic Marquis, but mine has 2 leads.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Great job, Janelle! Really happy you are doing good and that the meds are helping with the discomfort. Be a good patient and please don't over do it on your first week...don't forget to rest and recover.

Hope your summer is full of fun and great activities. We are here for you always!
        Sharon

Comment

yeah my moms been throwing my hair up. i just took it out of the sling and it huuurts. i cant lift it up very easily just because of the soreness, but it'll be gone soon!
          ~janelle*
          \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
          X