If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacer --- who has one?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacer --- who has one?

who has a pacer? how have you done with it??
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Pacer --- who has one?

I’ve never owned a pacer, but I’ve bet on a few in my time. Don’t think I ever won on any though. Still, it was a nice evening out now and again.

Roll with the punches Cynthia. Whatever happens you will be better off then you are now – and we’re all pulling for you. You just can’t lose.
    Burt

Comment

Hi Cynthia
      I've had a pacemaker for almost 7 years. It has done wonders for me, helping to control my heart rhythm. I was a little skeptical at the time, but I sure am glad I decided to go with the inplant.
      I hope all goes well for you.
      Please keep us posted
      Esther
      Esther

Comment

Pacer huh! Aren't they the ugly bubble/turtle shaped cars AMC put out in the '70's? Never had one, so I can't help with that. But, I do have a ICD implant the does pacing on the lower end if my heart rate falls to or below 50 bpm. It has not fired yet, although it has recorded several "episodes" when my heart rate became irregular and fast. This continues to regularly give the Dr. a more complete picture of what is going on even if I'm not wearing a holter or other event monitor. This acts like one after my heart irregularity reaches certain thresholds. It all depends on how your EP sets it up. Good luck. Steve.

Comment

Cynthia , many of us have combination devises. The pacer in mine is combined in the AICD:automatic internal cardiac defibrilator. This allows the doctors to adjust ones rhythm as well as help prevent sudden death. Since my implant in 2001 my pacer was turned on to manipulate the filling time and allow a longer time for my heart to fill as the ventricle is very stiff. The theory has been that some individuals showed improvement by doing this variation of timing . The research had to be thrown out as it was viewed that the researcher had falsified some degree of his findings thereby setting this research back . My EP felt that given this fact, each individual EP would have to start fresh and gather their own findings. The experiment did not work for me. There are many different combinations of things the EP's can do and this little devise allows a world of data and pacer options to try specific to the individual. This option was turned off for me after my myectomy. My pacer now is set to automaticlly pace my heart if it drops below 50bpm and if it goes above 120bpm. Good luck to you and I hope you start doing much better. Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I do have an AICD/pacer combo. It has never recorded anything which I am thankful for! But what I don't understand is why everyone else's seems to programed in the low to mid 100's. Mine is programmed at 220 I just can't help but wonder if my AICD hasn't picked things up because my episodes don't register quite that high. Is that a possiblity?

Mary S.

Comment

Mary Hi, I am glad to see you back on board. I hope you feel much better too. Mary is your 220 for the defib setting? I did not state that yes there is also a higher setting for the Defib. Is it that yours stands up at 220 , monitors , charges and decides whether or not to fire?I believe that that setting varies from person to person, mine is 180bpm. As far as the lower parameters for the pacer, this setting allows the pacer to attempt to bring the heart rate into this bracket ,50 -120 before it would move into the defib mode if the HR were to steadily climb to ,for you ? 220. I think this is what I interpret from my EP doc. Keep feeling better. Pam
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

While I know your question was a serious one - I could not help but think of an AMC Pacer myself...therefore my joke was posted already

Pacing for AF and DDD pacing are DIFFERENT issues. One must evaluate WHY PACER first then look at the "did it help question".

Does that make sense???

Anyway if you are talking about ablating the AV node and being pacer dependent - this is not a bad idea for some. speak to Dr. Link about it and see what he thinks FOR YOU.

Best wishes,
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Lisa,
                  I am calling Dr. Link & Homoud's office tomorrow to set up an appointment to discuss what the plan is with me. Do they always ablate the AV node when implanting a pacemaker?? why is that?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia, Tomorrow, when you talk to your doctor, ask him to explain all these things to you. Pacemakers are used for several different reasons. The reason you seem to be asking about, is that once the AV node is ablated, the A fib can no longer affect the contraction of the ventricles. That is the plan, because usually, the A fib causes the ventricles to beat too rapidly, less blood pumped out because it is to fast to allow the heart to fill up properly, and that's why you get weak, short of breath, dizzy, etc. Once the AV node is ablated, you need the pacemaker to make the ventricles beat at a rate fast enough to give you the blood supply you need or you will have many of the same symptoms that you had with the fast beat - weakness, tiredness, SOB, dizziness, etc. Some people have pacemakers put in so that timing of contractions can be regulated or their own natural pacemaker area of the heart isn't working well enough. The heart's conduction system may have intermittent blocks in different areas that the pacemaker is able to overcome. So, the pacemaker may be needed for many different reasons, but the AV node will only be ablated if it is necessary for treatment. That then, makes the pacemaker also necessary. Hope this makes some sense to you. Linda

Comment

thanks, Linda...I do have a lot of questions to ask

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hi - I'm on my second pacer battery - the first one was the Energizer Bunny for 5 years. Had the battery replaced two years ago, its much smaller than the original. My pacemaker is a dual chamber model and boy, do I feel better now. It's funny, you know how we kind of tend to forget some things. Well, when my pacemaker is being checked and is turned off, I remember too well what I felt like before. It's a world of difference. Good luck with whatever you and your doctor decide. Sharon

Comment

Sharon.....are you completely dependent on your pacemaker? I have a ICD, but had a duel chamber pacemaker prior to the ICD. I am completely dependent on it.
                          When I posted last time, I was including the pacemaker/defibulator I have now. I've had the battery on my ICD changed once since 2000, and once with the original pacemaker.
                          Esther
                          Esther

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X