If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD placement next week, what should I expect?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

ise2425 Find out more about ise2425
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICD placement next week, what should I expect?

Im getting an ICD placement next week, when can I expect to go back to school if I take it on a thursday? When will the sorness go away? Be able to shoot a basketball?

Re: ICD placement next week, what should I expect?

Hi, my name is Donna. I got my ICD two years ago. I stayed in the hopital over night. I was not to go back to work or to drive for 3 weeks. I don't know about the time frame for school. It was not that bad. I was stiff for a few days. But only had to take asprin for the pain for a day or two. I even forget that I have it . You don't even think of it most of the time after you have had it for a while. I am thankfull for it. It gives me a peace of mind knowing that when I need it, it will be there. I have had it go off two time the first year and nothing this year. All in all I am glad that I have it.

Good Luck and let us know when you are back home and all is over.
    Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Don't be surprised if you can't shoot basketballs for a while. You don't want to do anything to stretch or pull the wires(leads) loose. Your doctor will give you specific instructions - follow them! Be sure to ask him specifically about basketball. Try to arrange a buddy ahead of time to help with carrying books, etc. Those backpacks are so heavy these days! Try to get a textbook or 2 that you can keep at home and one in the classroom to eliminate the lifting a bit. After a few days, you will prob feel like doing more than you are allowed, but treat those leads with respect. You want them to last and do their job. Baby them along till you get the go-ahead from your doc. You will get a lot of help from others here. Best wishes to you, please keep us posted. Linda

Comment

As long as you have someone to help with the books, you might be able to go back to school as soon as Monday.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Im scheduled for my ICD placement on next thursday the 20th. I'm kinda nervous and just hoping for the best. Hope to be home for the weekend, and hope it really helps.
          Steven

Comment

Steven - 4 weeks and maybe you can hit the BB court...just for some light shots... You will need to talk to your doctor about this. You should be back at school by Monday - Tuesday and feeling fine.

Take care!

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I got my ICD implanted on thursday, and am feeling pretty good today, on sunday. The pain in the shoulder area hurts, but its bearable-especially with codine. The overnight stay was painful, and I had Morphine at one point but it all went right. My surgeon was Dr. Shannon from UCLA and I only have good things to say. All right take care,
              Steven

Comment

Steven,

Glad to hear everything went great with your ICD placement and that you are feeling well. It must be a huge relief for you to have the device. Hope you heal fast from the procedure and get back to living life with a lot more peace of mind.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you are doing.

Jim
                "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Dr. Shannon is a very cool doc! You are luck to have him! Next time you see him tell him I said hello!
                  Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Steven
                    How are you feeling? I hope well!
                    Tammy

Comment

I am doing really well, a week after the implantation. It has been wierd explaining it to people, but not a big deal. The pain in my arm has gone down a lot, albeit I still get the occasional soreness. I had my follow-up on friday, and the wound looks good and my ICD was prgrammed. I'm happy and looking forward to a now care free attitude. Thanks everyone for your support.
                      Steven

Comment

Steven, thanks for the update. Glad things are going well for you. We are so lucky to live in these times with so many treatments and options to offer. Best wishes for the future. Linda

Comment

glad you feel good!! I go in monday for mine..to be honest im freakin' scared out of my own mind. how long were you out of school? i told my teachers i would be out of school for a week, but come back for finals.

hah...you feeling alright is givin me some hope, im so freaked...i've never had anything close to surgery before.

since you are my age im sure you are on the same page as me as some stuff. what did they tell you about driving? or swimming? i know they'll tell me this stuff...but its better hearing it from someone whos had it recently. i really wanna know about swimming.
                          ~janelle*
                          \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X