If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the surgery like?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cheerchicken05 Find out more about cheerchicken05
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the surgery like?

they are telling me to get an ICD. i've never had surgery, and the only times ive been in a hospitle was to visit someone else...it was never supposed to be me.

so whats it like? how long were you in the hospitle? did it hurt? the thing im most scared about is the I.V.

they say since im small it will probably show. that SUCKS but im still more worried about the actual surgery than anything else.

i go to see dr. mazel who will be implanting mine on tuesday. he'll get me an appointment and stuff i guess...

im way scared, it gives me a stomach ache thinking about it.
    ~janelle*
    \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Re: whats the surgery like?

Dear Janelle

There are lots of ICD posts in the board --use the search function up top to find them.

As long as the doctor who is doing the surgery is very experienced and has a good success rate, you don't have anything to worry about.

take care,

s

Comment

Dear Janelle,

I don't have one yet, but please remember that many people will be praying that this will be much easier than you imagine and that you will be thankful that you got this.

Rhoda

Comment

The surgery is no big deal. I was out of the hospital less than 24 hours after the surgery. If you are small, you should ask about having the ICD placed subpectorally. It protects the device more. You can't see mine at all. It also protects you some from getting the device whacked.

The recovery was not bad at all. The worst is that you aren't supposed to raise your arm over your head for 6 weeks. The pain is really not very uncomfortable. Within a week, the pain was gone and I had to remind myself not to lift the arm.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

ISE2425 has a new post going with this question also. Be sure to read that one. Just be careful, and don't try to use that arm too soon, follow your instructions that the doctor gives you. I'm glad you will have that ICD protection with you. I know it's scary, but you have a lot of people behind you here. We'll be your cheerleaders now! Don't forget to take your headphone and favorite CD's with you, their a great distraction. They'll bring you through a lot of long waiting room sessions. Best wishes, and please keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X