If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

URGENT - RECALL... implanted in 1997-1998

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT - RECALL... implanted in 1997-1998

If your device is a Medtronic and was implanted in 1997 and 1998 PLEASE check with your doctor to see if you are included in this recall.

Medtronic Announces a Nationwide, Voluntarily Recall of Small Subset of Two Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Models

MINNEAPOLIS, April 16, 2004 – Medtronic, Inc. today announced that it is voluntarily recalling two older models of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs). The Class I recall involves a small subset of Micro Jewel® II Model 7223Cx and GEM® DR Model 7271 ICDs that may take a longer than normal time to charge before delivering therapy. Most of these devices, implanted in 1997 and 1998, are close to the normal replacement time. No other Medtronic devices are involved in this action.
    The Micro Jewel II device is no longer sold, and the GEM DR device has limited distribution. Physicians are being notified that they should verify the charge time and battery voltage of each affected device. If any devices exhibit unsatisfactory charge times, Medtronic recommends scheduling ICD replacement. The final decision whether to replace the device is based on the physician’s medical judgment and specific patient needs.

Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators are medical devices used to shock the heart into normal rhythm after patients suffer ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation, which are rapid, life-threatening arrhythmias originating in the lower chambers of the heart. The devices are surgically implanted in the chest in a minor procedure lasting less than one hour.

When a cardiac arrhythmia requiring cardioversion or defibrillation shock occurs, the capacitor is normally charged, and the device delivers the appropriate shock. With the cardioverter-defibrillators in this recall, the capacitors may take longer than normal to charge near the end of the battery service life and could cause a delay in delivery or a non-delivery of shock therapy. Such a delay or non-delivery could result in patient injury or death because patients are not receiving the appropriate therapy in time. Medtronic no longer uses this capacitor technology.

Recently, Medtronic became aware of one serious injury and four deaths that may be related to the failure of the capacitor in a small subset of Micro Jewel II devices.

A total of 6,268 of the affected ICDs were manufactured, of which about 1,800 are thought to be still implanted in patients worldwide. Medtronic is working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to ensure that all physicians and their patients with these devices are notified of the issue. Medtronic began notifying physicians on April 5.

The FDA defines a Class I recall as a situation in which there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

Medtronic, Inc., headquartered in Minneapolis, is the world’s leading medical technology company, providing lifelong solutions for people with chronic disease. Its Internet address is www.medtronic.com.

- 0 -
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: URGENT - RECALL... implanted in 1997-1998

I'm just curious... how do you 'recall' an ICD? Does Medtronic foot the bill for the surgical procedure to have the device removed and replaced?
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Jim, in our experience, the device company covered expenses not covered by the insurance company. Ours was not a recall, but an individual device problem. When you have the device implanted, you are handed a set of warranty papers that explains it, just like buying a refrigerator. Linda

Comment

The procedure will vary from recall to recall- - in some cases the manufacture will pick up some of the costs, some time all of the costs. In this case these devices are at the "end" of the normal life span of a device, therefore I would think that the device company will pay a portion for replacements.

I am concerned about this recall due to the timing of the implants - HCM'ers had a big number of ICD implants begining in 1997-8 so I am sure that some of "us" are in need of attention.

Best wishes,
        Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Currently not obstructed

Comment

Yea ,This gets my attention ,I have a Gem DR 7271 .Just had it interogated this week and no one said a thing!! I wonder if they didnt know or its the "old hush"routine? I guess I will call them on Monday and find out. Rich
          Allways remember you cannot control the wind!!
          However you can adjust your sails!!

Comment

Rich, it looks like the recall was issued on April 16th, so your doctor may not have known about it at your appointment. Let us know what they say.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi all,

I have a GEM DR 7271, but mine is not under the recall. My doctor scheduled me for a replacement this week then called and said there was not a recall. After seeing this message I just called Medtronic. They said only older versions of the model were recalled.

It does make you wonder though!

Jerry

Comment

Jerry -
                Keeping up to date on these matters in very important. We try our best here, your doctors try their best and each of us individually keeps our eyes and ears open.
                Back in 1997 I had one of the 1st DDD pacer/Defib units by Guident - One day I got to work and on my desk was a news clipping saying that "some were recalled" - this was a programing recall. Later that day (as fate would have it) I took my niece to the cardiologist - I ran into my EP in the hallway. He smiled and said hello. I said (thinking I was joking) - "so am I recalled to the mother ship or what?" His face got VERY serious and he said " oh my .... Uhmmm come with me" Off I went to the EP dept for my "reprograming". All because a guy who worked in the warehouse saw an article in the paper.

Best to all!
                Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Lisa, what a story! Sounds like someone was looking out for you!

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                  3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X