If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leads

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bryan Find out more about bryan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leads

I was wondering how hard it is, if even possible to have a lead come out of place?

Re: Leads

Bryan , I think anything can be possible with turbulent blood flow . It probably is not a good thing for a lead to move very far off its' mark. I know that initially there is supposed to be a period in which you don't lift your arm and do too much so that the leads will anchor in. I found out Tues that one of mine has some how embedded deep into the muscle and that may be the cause for my ongoing increase in voltage threshold for that lead. If this is the case are they planning to drop another lead in? I hope all goes well , keep us posted. Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Once they are set and healed it is not very common, although possible.

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Lias and Pam,
        Tahnks for the reply. The reason I ask is, While at the store the other day I was going to drop the 12pack of Coke I had in my hand and when I bent to grab it before it hit the floor I felt a great deal of pain. My left arm was numb from my elbow up and underneath my collar bone(where my lead incision is, my icd is in my abdomen) it felt like my insides were on fire. Then when I got home my chest was killing. You think maybe im looking into this to much?

Comment

Bryan,

I think the key to your answer is in your Galileo quote at the end of your posts: "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." The answer to your question seems to me to be that you have not yet discovered the reason for your pain, so you must check into this in order to discover the truth. Ask your doctor!

Rhoda

Comment

Bryan, I agree with Rhoda you should probably let your EP know and see what he or she says. I try to avoid lifting anything heavy on that side. Let us know how you make out. Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I with 3rd that... Get it check...better safe than sorry

You may have simply pulled a muscel but please do check on that.

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks for the replys... I didnt end up going. I called the EP lab and spoke to a nurse. She said I should get x-rays, BUT unfortunatly she could not order them cause she wasnt a Dr. duh, ask the DR then. Then she tells me to call my PCP to have him order X rays and if he sees something wrong then im to come in. Well I called my PCP and he wasnt happy, stating it is VERY unprofessional for another Dr to order another Dr to take X rays, when Mass General are the ones that deal with my ICD. It made sense, but after all this Im not gonna worry about it anymore. Have a good night

Bryan

Comment

Bryan,
                  Me thinks thou dost give up too easily. Your PCP may well think it’s unprofessional to have one doctor tell another to order x-rays, and that may be perfectly true. The point however is that a lead may have shifted and an x-ray is needed to ascertain exactly what is going on. I don’t much care who told who what. Proper care is the point in question.

I know of a woman whose lead shifted causing a much greater need for power and making her battery run low in just three years. Not a good thing to ignore. Please spend the penny to maybe save the pound.
                  Burt

Comment

Bryan, Burt is right. Have it checked. Unfortunately, you not only have to deal with a medical issue, you have to deal with personalities and accountability or lack of, among the caregivers. It's your life and you deserve competent, complete care. It may work for you to call the EP lab back and tell them what your doc said. Let them know that they are the ones primarily responsible for your ICD and they need to follow thru. On your next visit to your PCP or the next convenient time, discuss the issue of how he expects care to be coordinated and how he expects you to obtain needed care. Let him know you are willing to work with him, but you need some guidelines and reasonable expectations. Put the ball in his court, but be sure he understands how frustrating this has been for you. Good luck, Linda

PS - Your ICD is a very expensive piece of modern life-saving technology so it really should be in working order.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X