If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

revision of icd implantation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mongo_jones Find out more about mongo_jones
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revision of icd implantation

has anyone had this done? i'm thinking of having it done this summer. it has been about 17 months since my original icd was put in--it sticks out more than normal and while i'd originally thought i'd put up with it till it came time for the first replacement i'm now beginning to think that my quality of life is suffering too much for that to be worthwhile (especially since replacement may be 4 years away at the low rate of use it is getting now--touch wood!): i can't sleep on my left side at all--i sometimes turn over in my sleep and wake up in pain; i can literally feel the thing sticking out, especially when i wear a jacket; and more importantly it still causes some discomfort if i pass my fingers over the scar.

i have to say i am really envious of that basketball player someone referred to on another board who is playing full-contact games--i'm sure he has many more pounds of muscle on his chest than i do but i can't imagine anyone bumping lightly against my chest let alone a basketball being thrown at it or running into a hard pick!

my questions:

1. am i right in thinking that the procedure will be much, much quicker? since they'll only have to make the incision and rotate the icd a little and stick the wires under it.

2. if so, will this mean that recovery time will also be much, much quicker? for the original implantation it took me about 4 days to be completely recovered from the anaesthesia, about 2 weeks to be able to get a pain-free good night's sleep from the incision, and about 2 months before i could return to a normal range of movements.

3. what does this do to the scar tissue? i'm assuming that in a normal replacement cycle the scar heals to the extent that the next incision is almost like a new one--but if they cut through the scar as it is now will there be problems with healing? or will they make a new incision?

thanks in advance for any input/recommendations! if anyone's had it done i'd love to know what your recovery time was.

Re: revision of icd implantation

Hi Mongo,

I haven't had a revision, but it does sound like you are having a bad time with your device. I have had mine for a little over a year, and rarely notice it. I sleep on my left all the time, and the only time I feel my ICD is if I actually press the unit itself to move into an uncomfortable position. When I move off of it, it moves back into place and is fine.

Try posting your inquiry on this board:

www.zaplife.com

This is a site dedicated only to ICDs, and I know that people on that site have had revisions and others are planning them soon. Good luck.

Cynthia
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
    X