If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defibrillator for 4 year old

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defibrillator for 4 year old

I took my 4-year old son for his yearly check up yesterday. I was informed that his septal thickness when from an 8 to an 11 in one year. They put him on a 24-hour heart monitor. If it shows anything at all they are going to put a defibrillator in. If it shows nothing, they are going to wait a year and then put a defibrillator in. Because of the death of my nephew at age 10, they are being overly cautios with my son. I agree with this decision.
    However, because of his small size, they discussed wrapping the wires around his heart instead of going through the veins. I didn't think to ask until today of course, does this require open heart surgery? Does anyone know? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Re: Defibrillator for 4 year old

Kay, I don't have any of the answers but wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you when you're faced with this hard decision.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Kay,
      This is pure conjecture, but if the plan is to wrap the electrodes around the heart, I don’t think there would be any need to open the heart itself. I would guess however, if they are not going in through the veins or arteries, they would probably have to open his chest wall.

What I think is of no real consequence, but I would strongly recommend making a list of all your questions and concerns, and talking them over with the doctor. If anything is still not clear, secondary questions – or even second opinions – would seem in order.

Hope this is of some help to you. Under strain and pressure sometimes the right path is a little hard to find. On that score I do have some experience.

Wishing you and your son the very best. Please keep us posted.
      Burt

Comment

Dear Kay,
        Big stuff your dealing with Kay. I don't have answers either only prayers! I hold you and your son in the light that all your the answers to your questions will be given!

Peace to you and yours!
        Love and Light,
        Sharon

Comment

Kay, Burt is correct about opening the chest, but not the heart. This is the way it has been, if there is a newer, less invasive way to do it, someone will post for us. My prayers are with you all. I'm so glad the docs seem to be on top of things for you and not taking chances. Just keep asking questions, get the info you need to feel confident. Best wishes, Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X