If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mammogram and ICD question ladies

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Julie E Find out more about Julie E
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mammogram and ICD question ladies

Hello ladies,

Well had my yearly check up last week and as I am 41 my GYN wants me to have a yearly mammogram. Well let me tell you my first baseline one a few years ago (actually it was 1 year post implant) was not pleasant. The down squeeze was Ok because the tech was under the ICD, but the side squeeze about killed me. Actually I about passed out. The room was spinning and they put me on a table and took me down the hall to check vitals etc and had me lay there for 1/2 hour. Needless to say I'm a bit apprehensive to go again. Do any of you get the mammogram on your left side with your ICD and does it go OK? I thought if I found a tech experienced with ICD/pacemakers that would be helpful. My GYN said I'm the only young patient of hers that has the device and told me to discuss it with my EP. She said possibly I could get the mammo on the right and a ultrasound on the left side? Any helpful experiences would be appreciated.

Julie

Re: Mammogram and ICD question ladies

Julie i have never thought about having an ICD and having mammograms. i would think that would be painful, hopefully someone will answer that question for us, i also would like to know
    Take care
    Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

You should post and/or search the archives at these two websites:

www.zaplife.org

and

www.implantable.com

I have an ICD, and am 38. I got my first baseline right before I got my ICD, so I don't have an answer for you, but I have read on the above sites that other women have mammograms. They just have to be careful with the ICD side. Go somewhere that does alot, and they should have experience with pacers and ICDs.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I've had five mammograms and 1 ultrasound since getting my ICD. They don't press quite as hard on the ICD side. Really no problems or pain, but I am very directive with the technician each time.

Faith

Comment

I've had mammograms since my ICD. The tech was very careful and it hurt, but not any more than it did before. It may help that I am older and my breasts are less dense now. Best wishes. Sue

Comment

I have had my ICD and separate pacemaker for 8 years. Having a mammogram every year since. The first one was the worse.( 2weeks post ICD implant). It may be a little more uncomfortable than without but should not cause you the kind of pain you had. Warn them up front. They can take extra views and not use as much compression. My biggest fear is what is hiding in the tissue behind the devices. I guess we just have to trust that all is okay.
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X