If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering Icd test

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dreamcatchinglady Find out more about dreamcatchinglady
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering Icd test

Hi everyone. I hope this message finds all is well with all of you. I had my icd implanted on June 17th. Well on October 7th I go to get put to sleep and make sure it's still working. Is that an easy test. I just wanted some input from all who have had it done before. Thanks everyone and have a nice night.
    Kimberly K. Plaster

Re: Just wondering Icd test

dear kim,

it was my understanding most people are awake for an ICD interogation, or am I mistaken?

you can search the archives for ICD stories. Not to many complaints about getting them checked.

take care,

s

Comment

Hi Kim, You are correct in what you know so far. You will go to the electrophysiology lab that your doctor works from the morning of your test. You will be NPO(nothing to eat or drink after midnight). If you take meds they will call you or speak to you pre-op about only taking a small tiny sip with them and that is all. You will have had pre-op blood work within 1-2 weeks of this procedure, so your results will be current. When you are in the lab it is like a pre-op or recovery room .The nurses hook up an IV, put leads on your chest ,flexible paddles (paperlike)are put on your chest and back. The doctor comes in you talk probably laugh , there are others ready to go through the same or having other elecrophysiology tests nearby. They kindof have all the DFT's ready to go and when you wake up they're onto the next person. DFT testing is the name of what your having( I believe; defibrilator funtion testing) It is all very private with curtains and calm , you only have to take your top half of clothes off , bra ,shirt. Everyone is usually very upbeat .The give you a short acting anesthetic ,you go to sleep sitting up. You wake up very soon after that with no knowledge of what went on and feeling like you had a nap. They give you food and your family takes you home. Total time for everything including the wait is about less then two hours. What they do when your asleep is induce an arrythmia and watch your defibrilator go through it's paces ,fire and convert you back to normal sinus rhythm.(NSR) It is usually repeated one more time. The paddles are there for those rare occasions that something external needs to be corrected .On procedure 1st and then the next year I went into a-fib after the testing and they externally converted me back into NSR because the AICD didn't correct it. This time it was OK .YOU just go home and rest after and your chest might be minimally sore for a day. IF your set up is like mine ,you will go 2-3 times a year for pacer interrogation at the office and once a year for DFT in the lab. My electro doc says that so many AICD's are being put in nowadays that the insurance companies have scaled back on what they allow for checks and some can now be over the phone for the pacer part and in the future they will be able to do the same for the AICD. My doc says she prefers to check the AICD 1 time a year in a person in whom it does not fire to make sure it works when it's needed. Makes sence, but argue that with some of the insurance companies. I hope I have given you a calm ,peacefull picture because on a scale of 1-10 it's maybe a 1 and not to worry it will go well and hey,you'll get a good nap in. If I can help further let me know. Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hey Kim , I'm sorry I just reread my post , they do give you a johnny to wear over the top . Phew it read like you were lying there half naked . SORRY. Take Care Pam
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Other abbreviations they use for this study is NIPS (Non-invasive programmed electrical stumulation) These are a piece of cake Pam described it pretty well. Good luck

Comment

S,

Some EP's do this test and others don't. It's a lot more involved than a simple interrogation. I'm not sure why some people do it and not others, though.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Andrew only had his tested like that right in the operating room after the initial implant. That was 4 years ago. He has not had one since. Just the 6 month interrogations......I never understood either why some have this done yearly and others don't.

On a side note, at his last interrogation in May we were told he had about 6 months left in his ICD, which means a replacement surgery will probably be planned next month at his next appoinment

He will also be do for another echo at that appoinment. They always make me nervous since his HCM has been on a steady progression since his myectomy
              Dolly~
              mom to Andrew(HCM) 21 years old
              Diagnosed \'95 age 5
              Myectomy \'96 age 6
              ICD implant \'99 age 9
              First ICD shock (X2) \'04
              ICD replacement surgery \'05 age 15

*And aunt to 7 year old Kenny who had HCM and suffered sudden death in gym class. (2/20/87 - 4/6/94)

Comment

HI all, I hope this has not caused a lot of nervousness . Sorry if it did I only know what my doc tells me answers when I ask so probably a good thing is everyone may have more questions to ask their docs at their next visit. I did ask why the difference , she told me all docs are different and it has to do with how it is set up in the beginning. My doc actually left Brigham and started a practice in Providence R.I. (much closer for me). When I reminded the nurses who do the pacer interrogation quarterly they said , we don't do that here. A phone call to my doc quickly set that straight she said I will do that here for Pam as that is how we set it up from the beginning and untill the insurance companies say we can't and give us good reason why we can't, we will continue to test her AICD yearly . I'm not sure that this is the best reasoning or that the insurance companies would be happy but it gives me more comfort that it works well. As I am paced 100% of the time 2-3 times a year for the pacer check is sufficient. I hope this is a little more clear. Pam

Comment

Dolly, why does Andrew only have his interrogated every 6 months? I think the standard is every 3 months. That's how often my husband's is checked and he's had it for 3 years and has never had anything recorded on it.

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Hi Renee,

6 months has been his schedule all along. He went in at 3 months once after the implant and everything looked good with it so they said he only needs interrogation every 6 months from then on. Actually there are quite a few ICD recipients (in the Zapper group) that are on a 6 month schedule, so it is not "uncommon". Just another one of those areas where it depends on the doc I guess.
                    Dolly~
                    mom to Andrew(HCM) 21 years old
                    Diagnosed \'95 age 5
                    Myectomy \'96 age 6
                    ICD implant \'99 age 9
                    First ICD shock (X2) \'04
                    ICD replacement surgery \'05 age 15

*And aunt to 7 year old Kenny who had HCM and suffered sudden death in gym class. (2/20/87 - 4/6/94)

Comment

Ive had my ICD for 10 years and my check ups have been every three months. Just thought Id share that tid bit of info with you.

Bryan

Comment

Dolly, thanks for answering. I guess you're right. It must depend on the doctor. Have a good week.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

During my last ICD checkup, they did some test pace shocks for me, just to confirm that is what I had been feeling. My ICD paces <40 and it happens at least once a day.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X