If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Husband diagnosed with HCM -- Questions from battle with Insurance

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

MissRutabaga Find out more about MissRutabaga
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband diagnosed with HCM -- Questions from battle with Insurance

Hello!

My husband was diagnosed with HCM a little over a month ago, after we got him checked out since his Mother and Sister (younger than him) both died from HCM within the last 4 years.

Due to the multiple deaths in the family and my husband's diagnosed HCM after MRI and tests, the doctor recommended an ICD implant, and my husband definitely wants it for peace of mind. They recommended a wireless S-ICD since he is young (31).
    Insurance would not cover the S-ICD, only the wired ICD, after multiple rounds of appeals and a final independent ruling. So... questions!

1. We are considering self paying for the S-ICD surgery, but we are unsure if insurance would deny coverage for the battery changes in the future since they only OKd the wired ICD. That would be financially impossible. If we are under new insurance once the battery needs replacing, would they cover battery replacement or is there a chance they would deny it since the initial surgery of the wireless implant was deemed not medically necessary by our previous insurers?

2. Husband is worried about limitations of arm movement with the wired ICD. What are the physical limitations that go along with having a standard ICD implant?

3. Assuming insurance would cover the battery replacements, are the benefits of an S-ICD potentially worth self paying for it vs. accepting the wired ICD?

This has been a scary time but I was so happy to find that there's a community of people here going through the same thing. Thank you so much!

Hi MissRutabaga,
    And welcome! I saw that you posted more or less the same thing on the Facebook discussion board. It looks as though you got a fair number of comments there, but I'd just add my voice to the suggestion that you call the HCMA.

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
    X