If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you get used to this hockey puck (aka S-ICD)>

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

JohnCecil Find out more about JohnCecil
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you get used to this hockey puck (aka S-ICD)>

Hello HCMA community - I've trolled the forums for a bit here, and they've been very helpful and interesting. I had an S-ICD implanted 4 weeks ago, and I'm having a hard time getting used to it. I'm 46, relatively fit and only discovered that I had HCM a few years ago. Rationally, I understand and appreciate the value of the ICD as a backup device, but practically, it feels very awkward and strange in my body. How did you get used to this hockey puck? Any tips for feeling less strange sitting in cars, wearing backpacks, or other normal things?

Hi John, Welcome, I do not have an ICD so not much help on your issue....sorry. I did want to say that The HCMA has a very active Facebook group, there fore this forum tends to be very quiet. However, I believe there are some online support groups specifically for people within ICDs. You may want to try a google search for one of those groups or look for one on Facebook.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Thanks, Jilly -- appreciate the suggestion and I'll join that group.

Comment

You will get used to it, it just takes time. I've had mine since 2011 and I was very aware of it for a long time, but now I hardly notice it. Sometimes a backpack or seatbelt sits on it the wrong way, but it's rarely noticible. My dad had one of the first single lead ones, and it was huge and bulged out of his chest. I don't know how he got used to it, but he did. I just joined this forum, but also the facebook group so we'll see how this goes.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X