If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD fired

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Wyoguy I am educated as a Civil Engineer. However, I spent most of my life as a farmer. If you eat Kashi organic cereal with wheat in it, you have probably eaten wheat from my farm:) Find out more about Wyoguy
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Hamilton General Hospital by Dr. Jeff Healey.

    Comment


    • #17
      I talked to the EP today, and he said it takes a long time to get the Amiderone out of the system. Consequently, they won't do it for any less time. That was not what I was hoping to hear....thanks for the info on the hospital. Canada if my search found the correct one.
      Diagnosed 1988
      ICD Feb 2014
      Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

      Comment


      • #18
        Yes, Ontario, Canada. I don't have a full understanding of the procedure, I actually questioned being taken off the amiodarone for a week but from my understanding they could cause me to go into VT while on the table under full anesthetic. Your system shouldn't need to be 100% clean of amiodarone.

        I do have an ICD so maybe they used that for VT pacing, couldn't tell you with 100% certainty though.

        Comment


        • #19
          I have been having PVC's. They were lasting around 2 hours and mostly in the mornings. So I emailed the E P. He upped my dose to 400 mg of amiodarone. He also said if I get shocked to let them know and they would get me in as soon as they could for the oblation. Which tells me that you are right, but not why we are waiting. They told me that they would turn off the ICD, and that I had to be sedated but awake for this procedure to work. Not appealing at all. But, if it corrects or stops this rhythm thing, I will do whatever it takes. I am sure that my apprehension at getting another VT storm from the PVC's just compounds itself. I am trying to use relaxation techniques to help. Not sure if it is helping or not.
          Diagnosed 1988
          ICD Feb 2014
          Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

          Comment


          • #20
            I am going to put 2 cents in here .... not having experience with ICD or v-tach....but maybe giving perspective on the medical mind. I'm thinking, possibly the very best case scenario when doing an ablation is to be amiodorone free....this way there is the very best chance of identifying absolutely every site of arrhythmagenic tissue....decreasing chances of future v-tach and preventing the need for any repeat ablation procedures. That being the " ideal" situation, maybe that is what they are waiting for. However, as they have indicated they could do the procedure anytime....if needed....However, maybe they cannot promise as good of results?
            So if this is the case, where does that leave you, feeling like a ticking time bomb? and, feeling like you have no choice but to sit like a ticking time bomb? Can you or should you demand to have the procedure done earlier?
            My thoughts would be finding some sort of balanced approach which involves letting a health care professional ( your HCM cardiologist or your EP which ever you have a better rapport with) know the way you are feeling, the extent of your anxiety, how it is affecting your everyday life, and see if there is an acceptable alternative to waiting to get shocked again before you qualify for the ablation. What if they could give you numbers? .... ( these are made up) say....90% success rate if we wait and 75% success rate if we do it now. Then you have something to get your teeth into and the power to choose.
            The anxiety of feeling powerless and someone else dangling a life saving treatment in front of you that you have no control over is extremely difficult.
            After years of symptoms:
            Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
            Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
            Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
            At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

            Comment


            • #21
              I know that when I had an ablation for atrial flutter about 5 yrs ago, the EP wanted me off both beta blockers and the anti-arrhythmic drug I was taking. Fortunately that was a different drug so it was only for a few days. But I think the point is that they can't really find the appropriate area to ablate in the presence of some drugs.
              Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

              Comment


              • #22
                This makes sense and is basically what they have said. And they don't want to have to do it twice. They did not mention the metoporol, but we have not discussed it in depth yet. They don't want to get in there and not be able to cause the VT. And yes Jill, you interpret my feelings on the subject of another VT storm perfectly. I rented an apartment in Cheyenne for a month thinking I would not get so many shocks if it happened again. But.....we have to go on living, and that is on the farm for me.....1.5 hours away from the hospital.
                Diagnosed 1988
                ICD Feb 2014
                Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

                Comment

                Today's Birthdays

                Collapse

                Working...
                X