If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was zapped and didn't even know it now I am scared.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dreamcatchinglady Find out more about dreamcatchinglady
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was zapped and didn't even know it now I am scared.

Hi everyone. I was at work on sunday night. I was straightening an aisle when I had some pain at my icd. My icd is fairly new because I had it put in on June 17th. I felt extreme shooting pain at my icd site. I Felt like I had knives stabbing into me and It wasn't fun. My supervisor called security and they called the emts and I was sent to the emergency room. They couldn't find anything wrong at the emergency room so they sent me home and told me to see my local cardiologist asap. I saw my local cardiologist yesterday and he had an icd tech hook me up. they found out That on July 19th I was in atro fibrillation and that my icd worked and zapped me. I was very surprised to learn this because I did not even know!! But the doctor also told me that since then I have had several episodes of atrial fibrillation and that the icd hasn't worked for those times. He is suggesting that I go back on coumadin because I am in danger of having a stroke. I told him that we aren't doing this until he talks to my electrocardiologist in boston and my special cardiologist and boston. He is also telling me to get a medic alert bracelet. I am so scared. Is there anyone out there around my age that has this problem. I am 29. thanks for listening everyone.
    Kimberly K. Plaster

Re: I was zapped and didn't even know it now I am scared.

Kim,
    ICD's are not going to fire for Atrial Fib. if your heart rate is not fast enough to triger the device.
    I know your scared but please do not panic. You may need to adjust your meds to keep you out of A/F and I think it is a wise idea to think about blood thinners if you are going in and out of A/F. Being a stroke survivor myself I can tell you it is no fun and I would have done anything I could to avoid it in the 1st place.
    REMEMBER A/F is not the rythm that can "kill" you that is V/F... BIG difference. While YES A/F can make bad things happen like stroke...many people live in A/F for many years with little problem.

Be well,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Re: I was zapped and didn't even know it now I am scared.

Dear Kim,

Your doctor is absolutely right. If you are going in and out of atrial fibrillation you are at risk for a stroke and you should be on coumadin NOW.

Also, if you are on Coumadin you MUST have a medic alert (medicalert.org) because paramedics need to know it. They should also know you have an ICD, too.

You can live in atrial fibrillation for years and years (my aunt has been in chronic afib for 25+ years). However, you should do what you can to control it. And, no, your ICD is not usually set to zap you out of it. But I think they can be.

keep us posted,

S

Comment

Working...
      X