If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PMT Pacemaker Mediated Tachycardia

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Reinhard Find out more about Reinhard
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMT Pacemaker Mediated Tachycardia

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had PMT. Did a serach on this site, but came up with zilch.
    I've had my ICD since march and every once in a while the old ticker goes into warp drive, probably going up to the maximum setting of the pacemaker, which is probably around 120bpm. Not bad for an aerobic excercise of the ticker while laying down.
    The Guident tech at the Dr's office says that she adjusted the ICD so that it shouldn't happen as often. But it still does. Sometimes lasts for a few seconds, sometimes a couple of minutes. Any thoughts?? Experiences??, Suggestions?? I'll be visiting the doc in a couple of weeks.

Reinhard
    Diagnosed in 1980, ICD Implant 2003, 2nd ICD in 2010.
    Gene Positive, As is my mom as well as one of my 2 sons ( 50% Rule ) and my Grandson.
    Non Obstructive. Atenolol

Re: PMT Pacemaker Mediated Tachycardia

Depends what type of features are turned ON in your pacer and the type of pacer. I had similar experience, but I have St. Jude model 5376 pacer.

One of the new features is AF suppression algorithm. And it works to suppress A-fib. But it should be turned ON only if you have a confirmed A-fib problem. My cardiologist had mis-diagnoised my 2nd deg. heartblock as A-fib and had AF suppression turned ON.
    The mechanism of AF suppression is such that when it detects a premature beat it increases the heart rate to a set no. above the inherent heart rate - in my case it was 5 above the native heart rate. So if you have a PAC or PVC it increases your heart rate up, and while you it increases up and detects another premature beat, it increase further and the cycle goes on until the top end of the pacer setting which you mentioned is around 120 for you. Mine did the same thing it went up until 120-130 while I was sitting or resting.
    Sometimes medications which have side effect of premature beats make this very apparent. In my case, this happened while I was on levaquin.
    So if you don't have a case of A-fib, you can turn this feature OFF. And since I did it, I have never had this problem.
    Check on your pacer companies website about features on your pacer.
    Or talk to the pacer company's tech. support. I found them to be the best resource compared to our cardiologist friends.
    Ketan Thanki

Comment

Re: PMT Pacemaker Mediated Tachycardia

Love This site!!!
      Thanks for the education. I've got a Guident Ventak Prizm 2 DR, 1861. You've clarified the mechanism of how the AF suppresion Algorithm works so I'm be a little smarter on my next visit.
      I've already spoken to the techs at Guident several times, however, based on what you told me I'll certainly have a few more question for them as well as the Doc when I visit him the end of the month.
      I know I'm prone to PVC's and I've also have some Atrial Premature Beats and some couplets. I keep a small piece of paper in my wallet on which I record the "episode", date, time and duration. This way when the tech interogates the device, she be able to let me know what was happening and hopefully re-adjust the unit.
      Thanks again
      Be Well & God Bless
      Diagnosed in 1980, ICD Implant 2003, 2nd ICD in 2010.
      Gene Positive, As is my mom as well as one of my 2 sons ( 50% Rule ) and my Grandson.
      Non Obstructive. Atenolol

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X