If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chiropractor

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropractor

Hello everyone! I have a really screwed up back and neck and a few times a year I have to go for regular adjustments to my chiropractor. Last time I went he wanted to use the electrical impulses on the muscles in my back.........I'm not sure about this with my pacer/ICD. Anyone know for sure. I did it last time at a low setting for 5 min. He said he would try to increase the time and voltage each time, but I thought I better double check on this before I let him do that..........

Heather, 30, HCM
    PCD implated 11-02
    Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Re: Chiropractor

Heather, I don't mean this to be a trite answer, but have you asked your doctor or your ICD technician/rep? They would know better than anyone. I hope you get your back straightened out soon.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

i recently had my tubes tied and my cardio doc was a major part and I lve 4 hrs from him. Please check with your doc anytime you have a procedure done, when my tubes were tied I spent 4 days in the hospital because blood regurgitated into my lungs and was on 100% oxygen because I couldnt breathe. the doctor he did that surgery was very aware of my pacer,defib. If he hadnt things could have gone much worse
      Lana

Comment

I would suggest a few things.
        1. Call your EP BEFORE you have the treatment.
        2. I call the device manufacturer and check with them.

It just so happens I am here with my brother-in-law who is a Chiropractor...his feeling is that #1 and #2 should be followed BEFORE ANYTHING is done.

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I just went to the Chiropractor the other day and he inquired about using the muscle stimulation as well. He called the guidant reps and they said ABSOLUTLY NOT! The impulses could fool the heart into thinking there was an arrythmia and shock you. Try ultrasound therapy instead.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary... THANK YOU!
            This is a question I would normally research before my posting.
            Due to my family situation I had no time.
            Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Currently not obstructed

Comment

Hey isn't that why we are all here to help one another?

As soon as you get a chance you need to come down here to Mickey land and try our new ride here at Epcot! I think you could use a little SPACE! You need to take it easy you are going at a break neck pace. Don't let it catch up to you like it did me a couple of months ago! Take care of your family first they are the most important aspect of anyone's life. Then the rest can follow.

You do soooo much for us! Even acting as our mom's when we need it .

I hope all goes well with your family.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary,
                Thanks I am doing my best and that is all I can do. I know that I have my limits and I will stop when I hit them. I slept last night for 6 hours straight. I feel much better today.
                Take care,
                Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X