If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Here

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Leah Find out more about Leah
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here

Hi Everyone,
    My name is Leah I am a newbie here. I have an ICD/pacemaker for almost 2 years in july. My ICD never shocked me yet so it is doing it's job. I am 22 years old female also. Would like to chat with others with ICD/pacemakers. Hope to hear from you all soon. Write Back Soon,
    Thanks,
    Leah

Re: Newbie Here

Hi Leah. Welcome. My husband also has an ICD. He's had it almost 3 years and hasn't been shocked either. What was your primary reason for getting one? I hope to hear more about you soon.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I needed my ICD because I have cardiomyopthy.

Comment

What kind of cardiomyopathy do you have? There are several types. Most people with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy don't have ICD's. The ones who do have them got it for various reasons. Either they have a personal history of their heart having bad arrhythmias (improper heart rhythm), they have a family history of people dying at a young age, their septums (muscle dividing the heart into left and right) are extremely thickened, or other issues.

Oh, forgot to add the types of cardiomyopathy: hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, dilated cardiomyopathy, and restrictive cardiomyopathy.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Welcome,
          I too have an ICD and would be happy to chat with you next week. See my other post "urgent message from Lisa" and you will see why I am unable to talk now.

Be well,
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

My husband, Chuck, had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy when he got his ICD. It was a year ago July 1 that the cardiologist called me at home (one day after being laid off) and said I needed to bring Chuck to the hospital NOW. He had been wearing a King of Hearts monitor--again--for palpitations--and they FINALLY caught something--even though Chuck had been saying for years that something was wrong. He had torsades de pointes--very erratic heartbeat. He went in and had his ICD implanted on July 5. We almost lost him the morning of the procedure. He went into erratic heartbeat again and they came with the paddles, but he made it through. Unfortunately, he gradually got worse and in October was diagnosed with the obstructive form of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Well. the rest is history. The ablation in January went well--but was not a success. Then, the myectomy in April was a success, but a blood clot to the lung ended his life. Sorry for the bad news, but hope that the ICD info can be of help to you. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Comment

Hi Leah,

I too have HCM and an ICD. I'm nearing my 4 year anniversary with it and hope to get another year!

Lost my brother to HCM in 1997 and was tested after his death.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Julie in Cincy

Comment

Hi my name is Kimberly and I'm 29 years old. I would be willing to talk to you Leah and other people. Hcm is a big issue and I have it and Am getting my icd on tuesday.. Let's get talking people everyone have a great evening. God bless you all.
                Kimberly K. Plaster

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X