If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pericarditis

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Reinhard Find out more about Reinhard
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pericarditis

Hi All.
    Just wanted to put a feeler out about pericarditis. 3 weeks ( implant on 3/25 ) after my ICD implant, they carted me out of my home ( via ambulance and paramedics ) with sharp stinging chest pains. That in itself was scary Quite a scene on a nice peacefull Saturday afternoon. To make a long story short, it ended up to be pericarditis. Treatment, Motrin, and another week at home.
    Is this unusual or is this fairly common after an implant?
    Some Docs say it could be viral, others say it could come from lead irritation. If lead irritation, is this something that will come and go as long as the leads are in place or could this be a one time deal when he leads were put in place?
    Has anyone else had similar experience??

On another note:
    I've always been a stickler on keeping records. I have all my records, ecg's, echo reports, cardiac studies, reports, etc in 1 folder ( by date ). When the paramedics came and read my ecg, their eyebrows raised up, thinking this guy has had a heart attack. I told my wife to get the "folder" They were able to compare the ecg's and pretty much rule out a heart attack.

When I got to the emergency room, I handed the folder to the physicians. I can't tell you how much time was saved by having all the data available. They even complemented me on the records I kept. It enabled them to make their diagnosis that much faster.

One of the cardiologists made a recomendation that I though was pretty good. He told me to laminate a copy of the ecg on a credit card size card and Keep it with me in my wallet along with any other important data, perhaps on the other side of the card.

Stay Well

Reinhard
    Diagnosed in 1980, ICD Implant 2003, 2nd ICD in 2010.
    Gene Positive, As is my mom as well as one of my 2 sons ( 50% Rule ) and my Grandson.
    Non Obstructive. Atenolol

Re: Pericarditis

I'm sorry you had such a rough Saturday and that you are better now. I don't know anything about pericarditis. I just wanted to congratulate you on your record keeping. The idea about a laminated EKG is a good idea. Take care.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I had a doctor who insisted I keep a copy of my ECG with me all the time, too. My mom's ECG looks like she had a major heart attack, but it is simply the HCM changes. I'm sure mine looks pretty silly as well, but since I wear a Medic Alert bracelet now, I've left my paper ECG at home.

S

Comment

Hi there- I had my defib implanted 11/15/99, and since I travel alot, I found it's good to keep a copy of that small card in my wallet, that one that has the model number, lead numbers, etc. That way I can whip it out at airports...BAM...and there are less questions. I have found, also, that even though I'm only 29, I don't get all that many questions from security. The FBI (in DC, I went to the tour) came at me with the stinkin wand...but once again..BAM..whipped out my handy dandy card from the wallet...and it was all fine. I also wear a medic alert bracelet 24/7 since I have Crohn's disease as well. Killing two birds there. I'm amazed that anyone can be so organized! Way to go!
        \"Well behaved women rarely make history...\"

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X