If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chain saws

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain saws

i recall when I got a medtronic device 4 years ago they said do not use chain saws. I think I have read that they either temporarily disable the device or set it off (ouch). After a couple of bad windstorms, I am in need of dispatching a couple of downed trees and saw an electric chain saw at the hardware store. Has anyone with a device used an electric chainsaw without incident? I could buy one for the price of hiring a handyman and get the job done coming out with a new tool. I'll email medtronics but curious if anyone has crossed this bridge before.
    Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
    Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Re: chain saws

My ICD is about a year old, so maybe some differences from yours. It is also a Medtronic. I have shied away from the chain saws. For some reason they sounded more ominous! However, I have read many accounts of people welding.....which has another possible bad outcome. Since then, I have read about how to be careful, amperages etc, and have welded on several occasions without incident. I am very careful, and only do so when very necessary.

Dennis
    Diagnosed 1988
    ICD Feb 2014
    Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

Comment

I know most ICD are sensitive to the electromagnetic field produced by small or large motors or high currents (as in arc welding). They don't set it off, but it could affect it in other ways - like temporarily disable them (and they generally reset within 15 minutes). Contact your Device's manufacturer for their recommendation.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Yes, none of these things are recommended. And, I did not intend to encourage any misbehavior! When I asked the rep. before my implant, they said that yes, some people get away with it......but don't do it! Good advice. From my reading about chain saws, the problem is that they use a magneto, which puts out a series of high voltage charges which can be misread by your device as an issue with your heart. The result with a pace maker is to possibly/probably disable it temporally as Marc said. The ICD, as I understand it, will give you a shock rather than disabling it. Either way, not a good outcome. But, you asked and this is my experience, not my recommendation.
        Diagnosed 1988
        ICD Feb 2014
        Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X