If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest with an AICD

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Alysha I have an awesome husband of 20years, and 3 great kids. Life is Good!! :) Find out more about Alysha
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden Cardiac Arrest with an AICD

I am just curious, because to be quite honest i was under the delusion that if you had an AICD you were safe from SCA. I suffered SCA 09/21/14 Praise the Lord my husband was home and performed CPR. Unfortunately myself and then family of course were under the understanding that my defibrillator would shock, end of story, not the case unfortunately. My question then is how often does your ICD not save you from SCA? I hope i explained my confusion well enough.

~Alysha
    Strong Family hx of HCM
    Father passed suddenly at age 40
    Diagnosed in 99'
    AICD placed in 04' generator replaced in March 09'
    Transapical Myectomy - Dr. Schaff @ Mayo in July 09'
    3 children; 22, 19, and 15 all clear so far

Re: Sudden Cardiac Arrest with an AICD

If your asking for people who have had SCA and their AICD didn't work - You'd have a very small group to respond. An AICD generally helps with SCD Sudden Cardiac Death and SCA. BUT - this is not to say that it works 100% of the time. If for some reason the Sinus Node doesn't want (or can't) to work, the device should try several times, but eventually it can't do it.
    What did your EP say? Did it even try? Did it monitor/record the event? Are you 100% sure this was an SCA? I ask, as seeing someone faint can startle someone to think its an event when its only a syncope episode.

Regardless, Glad your DH rose to the occasion and saved your life and hoping you get some answers as to why this happened.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I understand why this is confusing - and upsetting.

I don't know why this happened, but all devices of all kinds have some chance of failing. The last time I looked, failure rates for current ICDs were something under 1% - which is very reassuring, but that means that they do sometimes fail.

What does your doctor - especially the electrophysiologist - say? Do they have some idea of what happened?

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Yes it was Cardiac arrest for sure husband/EMTs did CPR for about 1/2 hour, i was then put into a hypothermic induced coma for like 24 hours and woke up Praise the Lord with no brain damage. I ended up having another lead placed so maybe that's the issue. They had always told me before that the 2nd lead would not benefit me. Til now that is.My ICD did record that it shocked me twice, but was unsuccessful. My husband was outside and came in just after we are assuming, so we do not know what my symptoms or anything were, i have no memory of about 3 days before. Dr also put me on Norpace. I am suppose to be seen at Mayo in Rochester.So until then we remain fairly clueless.

~Alysha
        Strong Family hx of HCM
        Father passed suddenly at age 40
        Diagnosed in 99'
        AICD placed in 04' generator replaced in March 09'
        Transapical Myectomy - Dr. Schaff @ Mayo in July 09'
        3 children; 22, 19, and 15 all clear so far

Comment

WOW - Very scary indeed. Hoping the Mayo visit brings some answers. Do keep us up to date with what they find.
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X