If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD alarm

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

anrol31 Diagnosed with IHSS in 1997. A few years later the diagnosis was changed to HCM. After passing out at work (the day before vacation), I was implanted with a Medtronic ICD with a single lead (recalled) on October 14, 2005. I'm still bummed that I spent my scheduled vacation recouping on the couch instead of enjoying myself in San Fran. I am grateful that it happened at home and not while I was away. In July 2014 I started getting shocked frequently. My heart was jumping up to 198 bpm. My meds stopped working. I went into the hospital, got a new ICD with a second lead, and got a med change on July 31, 2014. After telling my cardiologist I had chest pains, and he suggested I take Prilosec and being told I didn't have HCM, I decided I had procrastinated long enough. It was time to take my records to a COE. I now see Dr. Williams III and Dr. Lloyd. They are wonderful! I am non obstructive. Septum thickness is 14mm. Ejection fraction is 55% Doc said "Your heart is stiff but strong," whatever that means. Left atrium is dilated. I am symptomatic and suffer from the occasional AFib. Meds: Metoprolol Succ ER 25 mg 1 in AM and 12.5 mg 1 in PM. Sotalol 80 mg 2/day. Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 2/day. Alprazolam .25 mg as needed for anxiety. I am happy to say that the "as needed" is getting farther and farther apart, though not gone all together. Find out more about anrol31
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICD alarm

I'm freaking out a bit. I just had the new device implanted in July. I was sitting here, listening to an audio book with my headphones, and I hear the alarm. I throw my headphones off, and I still hear the alarm. I went into the bedroom where my hubby was sleeping, and he heard it too. It is definitely not my imagination. Why on earth would the alarm be going off now? I called the doctor's office, to see if I could get in to get the thing checked, I don't have the home monitoring station, but they have to call me back. I probably shouldn't be posting in a fit of panic, but I didn't know what else to do.
    Diagnosed - 1997
    Single chamber ICD implant - 2005
    Generator change/upgrade to dual chamber - 2014
    Medications - Metoprolol 25mg 1/day & 12.5 1/day, Sotalol 80mg 2/day, Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 2/day

Re: ICD alarm

Relax - I know, easier said than done. Sometimes if it senses something off - the impedance in the wire, A conflict in program, etc. it will sound the alarm. Calling your doctor and either submitting a data dump with your home monitoring station or going in for a download, Either way they need to check and correct. Its rare, but does happen. My old one when off when the battery was low and it took me 2-3 times to figure out it was me! I checked smoke alarms, refrigerator, phones, etc., for days!
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I just got home from the device clinic. They said that every morning, my device measures the leads. The bottom lead (which is the old one and happens to be one that Medtronic recalled) measured high. He said it could be a fluke or a sign that the lead is starting to go bad. When I had my device replaced in July, I expressed concern about the lead, but the doc didn't want to replace it if it wasn't bad. I have an appointment, in a month, to have the device checked again. In the mean time, If the alarm goes off again, I'll have to go back to the device clinic sooner. So it looks like, I may have another surgery in the not so distant future. *sigh*
      Diagnosed - 1997
      Medications - Metoprolol 25mg 1/day & 12.5 1/day, Sotalol 80mg 2/day, Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 2/day

Comment

I see you had single in 2005 and dual in 2014 - Did they add a lead in 2014? or is the 2005 a dual lead, but only plugged in single chamber (guessing here folks).

Well the good thing is, These devices alert you to things you otherwise wouldn't know about. At least it wasn't built by GM !
        Marc
        Diagnosed @ 48

Comment

Wait, The fog is lifting. . . .
          The OLD LEAD is acting up and they installed a new lead with the 2014 spark plug?
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48

Comment

That's too bad. I have riata leads. So they can"orphan" your old one.
            I guess it will be better to have one u can count on.

Comment

Originally posted by mbcube View Post
              The OLD LEAD is acting up and they installed a new lead with the 2014 spark plug?
              I believe the answer is yes, if I understand your question.
              My old device had one lead going to the ventricle. I'm not sure if it was capable of dual leads or not. When I had the generator change, they kept the old lead(2005) to the ventricle and added a new lead(2014) for the atria, making a dual chamber. Does that make sense? Now the old lead(2005) is acting up, it may need to be replaced.

What worries me, is 1) having to go under the knife again, when I wanted it replaced during the generator change and 2) having an abandoned lead just floating around in there.
              Diagnosed - 1997

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X