If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still scared

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

MariaB 44. Happily married. 2 teenagers at home. Find out more about MariaB
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still scared

Has anyone ever heard of a deib not going off when needed ? I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else and how common is this ? How do you get over the fear of it happening again ? Thanks !

Re: Still scared

I am sorry. I meant, Defibrillator. Has anyone ever heard of a defibrillator not going off when their heart stopped ?

Comment

It is a mechanical device and as with any other things can go wrong. Hopefully if this happened to you you contacted your doctor immediately.

Comment

After they brought me back to life, I spent a few days in a coma and then a couple of weeks in hosp. So yes, the Dr. was contacted. I am just wondering if it has happened to anyone else on here ?

Comment

Its happened, but very remote. Also - In extremely rare cases it does work (fire) but the heart does not respond. Both instances are rare. Its important that they find out why the failure happened and correct it.
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

It must be pretty rare for an ICD failing to deliver therapy. I searched for statistics on this but couldn't find any. That tells me it's really rare. I don't know if your ICD supports remote monitoring. If it does maybe that could give you ease of heart, knowing you're being monitered on a day to day basis. If the hospital doesn't receive data from the ICD for a few days they should call you to check if there's a problem or if you were just out of reach of the monitoring device.
            Some people say I don't have a heart, but my doctor says I have too much?

Comment

Thank You for you input ! The ICD I have now has remote monitoring. I feel good about it, when I am home, but not while I'm driving or at work. I never missed an appointment. I did everything I was told. I had no clue that it could stop working and not be detected. Obviously, I feel that everyone should have a conversation with their EP. If the EP tells you that it can't happen, switch Drs. And PLEASE educate yourselves on what brand you want in your body !!

Comment

Working...
              X