If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amatuer Radio and ICD

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Reinhard Find out more about Reinhard
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amatuer Radio and ICD

I'll be getting an ICD implant the end of march. I'm also a Ham radio operator. ( easily spotted by the presence of antenna farms ). I was wondering if there are any other "hams" on this board with ICD's that can give me some advice.
    I've already read some of the do's and don'ts and what to stay away from but I would like to hear some words of wisdom from other hams on their first hand experiences.
    Thanks
    Reinhard
    KA2VTN
    Diagnosed in 1980, ICD Implant 2003, 2nd ICD in 2010.
    Gene Positive, As is my mom as well as one of my 2 sons ( 50% Rule ) and my Grandson.
    Non Obstructive. Atenolol

Wh6cxa

No problems..as long as you are away from the RF! No troubles for me 5 years...so far!
    Gary R. Ballard

Comment

Thanks for the response. I've been using 2 meter mobile with a glass mounted antenna on the back of the car. I am kind of leary on using the set on high power ( 45 watts ), not knowing how the ICD leads will react to the RF field.
      They tell you not to use the cell phone on that side and that is only a couple of hundred milliwatts.
      Do you use your xmitter in the car and if so what bands?

Thanks

Reinhard
      Gene Positive, As is my mom as well as one of my 2 sons ( 50% Rule ) and my Grandson.

Comment

Hi there,

I'm not able to speak to the discussion about ham radio and ICDs as I do not have and ICD, but I just wanted to let you both know that Tim and I are also amateur ham operators and live in Dayton, OH. Have either of you made it out to the Dayton Hamvention? Tim has went for many years.

73's,
        KC8YEZ (Lynn) & KC8MOP (Tim)
        Lynn Stewart
        HOCM 4/2002
        Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Hi

No, I've never had the pleasure of traveling out to the Dayton Hamfest. Perhaps someday I'll make it out there. A lot of Hams I know go there and say it's great.

I know there is a doc (cardiologist ) somewhere here in NJ that has expertise in ICD's as well being a Ham. Perhaps I can locate him and pick his brain.

I checked with Guidant and the answer I received is the standard one in regards to magnetic fields from saws, drills, etc. Although this is also an electromagnetic field, It is a little diferent that the field generated by transmitters.

I'm just leary on using my radio on 2 meters and 440 in the high power mode while driving and having a bolt of lightning shoot out my ears. LOL

73's
          Reinhard
          KA2VTN

Comment

I'll have to dredge-up whatever it was I was reading, but I remember reading something from Medtronics that told me that using my VHF marine handheld would be OK providing it is held on the opposite side from the ICD. That handheld is a 3 watt unit.

Perhaps you can get a more definitive response from Guidant if you ask for a limit in W/cm**2? Then you can work out the power level at the appropriate distance from your antenna.

Good luck and let us know if you get an appropriate answer from Guidant!

Rob
            --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
            Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X