If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pain from ICD (muscle chest area)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jvaldez Find out more about jvaldez
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain from ICD (muscle chest area)

Had my ICD surgery three years ago.
    Over the past few years, I've experience muscle pain on and off over this time (sometimes more severe than others where difficulty moving arm).
    Doctors don't seem to know what to do about this.
    Anyone else have experience with this?
    It's getting very frustrating.
    Diagnosed Feb. 2008
    ICD June 2010
    Septal Myectomy (Cleveland Clinic, Dr. Bruce Lytle) August 2010

Re: Pain from ICD (muscle chest area)

Problems after 3 months are uncommon from what I read. Of course I was an uncommon case as I allowed my shoulder to "freeze up" as I refer to it while I was recovering. I held the arm too still for that duration where we aren't suppose to lift the arm above our heads. It took 6 months of light weights for me to regain full use of my left arm after that mistake. There were weeks in there where I couldn't move my left arm very far under its own power and laying down produced a lot of pain.

If the muscle pains are a case of you accidentally messing up the shoulder muscles during recovery like I did then there is a good chance that a simple set of light exercises designed to strengthen that area could solve your problems in a few months. You should seek attention of a physical therapist for evaluation and to come up with a exercise plan if you want to try that direction.

Comment

This may or may not be related to you implantation. Some questions I have (and I sure most doctors would) - It is constant? are there certain actions that cause it? does it go away with rest? is it one side more than the other? Was your device installed sub-pec?
      I would think that if after the first year things were OK and it progressed to getting worse, then it might be something else like Kevin suggested.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Hi Jvaldez, maybe your doctors should do a chest x-ray to make sure your ICD is in the right place. Do you sleep on your front at all?

I sleep on my side with my arm up, sometimes I lean on my ICD which causes a pulsing ache the following day. It does feel like a muscle pain.
        Diagnosed with HCM @ 6 years old.
        Father & 2/5 sisters affected
        ICD Implant in 2011
        Evaluation for Transplant in process.

Comment

My ICD placement was five years ago, July 22, 2008. The device is in a pocket under the skin and the wires and battery can be felt. I have suffered with pain under my arm, aggravation at the site occasional swelling and itching and a slightly swollen breast since the placement. I have sensitive skin so I just assume this is the problem. I am moderate to severely symptomatic from my HCM so to me this is just something else I'll have to deal with. I definitly sympathize...hope yours eases up and you become comfortable atleast

Comment

I have had my current AICD for 8 years, and sometimes, for no reason at all, my chest will ache like a toothache where it sits. It is a passing ache, not staying very long, but fairly intense sometimes. I have always just figured that it affects those muscles and nerves right there, and sometimes they protest.

However, I have had neck problems ever since I got an AICD (12 years ago). I never really thought about asking the Dr. about it, though. Once again, figuring that it has to do with the thing messing up my nerves in that area.

Comment

oh yes there will always be a little pain to remind you something new is inside your body

Comment

Mine's 5 years old and no pain, but on occasion, it'll itch like crazy. For me its a small price to pay for protection.
                I'd continue to ask each and every doctor you see to see if "thinking outside the box' might help.
                Marc
                Diagnosed @ 48
                Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Some people recover so FAST but it took me a full 3 years to be able to sleep on my left side comfortably again. Even so - sometimes it's a bit much and will be a little sore the next day. I too had issues after the post-surgery restriction and used light weights (learned how at cardiac rehab) to fix the problem. Doing range of motion exercises especially with some light weights really made a huge difference for me. That and time. I sleep on my right side a lot more than I used to as well. Prior to my ICD surgery I was a confirmed left-side sleeper. Now it's more balanced. I will say tho - a heavy workout where I over-use the muscles will cause a LOT of soreness in the area, so light and easy works better, or at the very least, properly working up to heavier stuff and not jumping in over one's head.
                  »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
                  Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
                  Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
                  Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
                  Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
                  Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
                  Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
                  ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

Working...
                  X