If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD placement

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jancer121 Find out more about jancer121
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICD placement

Hi,

I had an ICD implanted back in October. My EP ended up putting it much lower than he originally told me since I'm a woman so that the scar would not be visible no matter what I wore. Well he was right about that. However, he put it so low that the side of the plastic casing which contains the leads of the ICD intrudes into my armpit and is still causing discomfort to this day. I feel every movement with my arm and swimming has become very uncomfortable for me. Any repetitive movement, reaching, etc. is uncomfortable and it is painful to the touch in that area. I've read other posts by people who have had an ICD state that after a while you don't know the device is there. I don't think this will ever be possible for me. I am considering having it moved but don't really want to go through surgery again, risk infection, etc. Is there any other woman out there that can relate to my situation that can tell me if it will just take more time for the discomfort to subside or is this something I will just have to accept and live with? The scar is practically invisible. I would have rathered had the ICD placed where it normally gets placed and deal with a visible scar than having to endure this daily constant discomfort. I would appreciate hearing back from anyone who has had a similar experience. Most recently I had my ICD checked by a Medtronic rep and told him about this. He felt the area where the device was implanted and concurred with me that he would be uncomfortable too. He said my placement isn't uncommon being a woman and he has seen other female patients with a low placement but mine seems to be lower than others he has seen.

Re: ICD placement

Sorry you have to deal with this. I know of one poster - a model I believe, and hers was placed in the stomach area if I recall. This is a common location for kids, but not in adults. I question if your doctor has placed in this location before and if there were other complaints. I know it takes a while to adjust to it and but it sounds like this is plain uncomfortable! If your small framed or quite thin the standard location may give the appearance that your smuggling a hockey puck. You may be a candidate for a sub-pec implant. Positive are its less noticeable, I believe the scar can be located off to side rather than below the collar bone. drawback is they have to cut muscle tissue to create the pocket (as opposed to Fascia fat) and this takes longer to heal from.
    Talk to your doctor and perhaps get a second opinion from another surgeon.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
    X