If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must be related to Lisa...because this "never" hap

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must be related to Lisa...because this "never" hap

My mother and father are "wintering" in the Florida Keys. They took a side trip to Key West for a few days. My dad (67yrs old, HCM (end stage),Pacer dependent, Bi-Ventricular pacer/ICD-GEM III) was in a swimming pool. He was standing on a metal plate that was on the bottom of the pool and reached over to touch the side of the pool. There was an under water light mounted in the pool. When my father touched the light he felt a shock though his body. He did not pass out. He was shaken and left the pool and returned to his room. He called Medtronic and said - I think my device just fired but I am not sure. He was feeling well but did have a few PVC's and some pacing of his diaphram. He then called me.We chatted and he was feeling OK, so he did not run back up the Keys to Miami to the closest hospital that could read his device. The next day he made the trip to Miami. It was recoreded that his device did fire in the pool. It appears that the shock from the light was so strong and he was standing on the metal that he acted a "ground" for the electricity.
    This could have been a very bad story, but at this time it appears that all will be OK.
    The Inn they were staying at is being difficult at this time and refuse to admit that the light in the pool is faulty. ICD or not that is out right dangerous! As you can imagine - we will be working on that matter!
    So according to the Medtronic reps "they had never seen that happen before"...so this is why I say...It must have happened to a member of my "abnormally normal" family!
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Lisa,

Does your family just like to keep everyone on their toes or what? I sure hope your dad is all right. Good luck with fighting against the hotel. Any way to get an electrician to check it?

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Wow! Lisa..tell your dad I hope he is feeling ok. We need him back up in a few weeks to get those donations for the golf outing rolling in!

Lynn..that was for you!!
      Ellen
      HCMA

Comment

Re: Must be related to Lisa...because this "never"

Originally posted by Lisa Salberg
        So according to the Medtronic reps "they had never seen that happen before"...so this is why I say...It must have happened to a member of my "abnormally normal" family!
        Lisa
        Lisa does have a weird family alright! I offer the following as proof:

1) I am her brother.

2)My dad doing his imitation of an electric eel in a swimming pool, and probably scaring heck outta a bunch of nice grandma's wearing those fringed swimming cap thingys.
        He's also strange enough to offer to jump start cars in the parking lot to make some extra spending money.

3) My mother asked me on the phone the other day if Lisa e-mailed me any pictures of her on the radio.

4)Sister Lynn's obsession with golf!

I rest my case your honor.
        Lisa\'s favorite (and smarter) big brother.

Comment

OK Lar - Ya got me laughing on the Mom one
          That does sound funny even though I know what she means!
          Sounds like something Steve Wright would say!
          Later!

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Currently not obstructed

Comment

Yeah....me and Steven Wright think alot alike, except he gets paid for being weird.
            Lisa\'s favorite (and smarter) big brother.

Comment

IF getting paid for being weird was a real job...WOW you would be loaded!

Currently not obstructed

Comment

I can hardly wait for Dad's version of the story. By the time we all get together at the HCMA mtg in June, he should have it perfected! Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X