If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuesday

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Largehearted I miss living in Europe, specifically Munich, GermanyI like to think out loud. Some of my ruminations can be found at beinganddoing.wordpress.com. I love to cook and eat, but hate to clean up. I tend to be confident in my opinions, but will change when presented with a compelling enough reason/argument. Find out more about Largehearted
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday

Hi everyone.

On Tuesday I will be getting my ICD. I find myself a bit nervous as I have never had surgery of any sort. I told my boss I have read of recovery times of anywhere from 1 to three weeks. So tell me (those of you who have experience) is there a norm or is this like most everything else in HCM? I can already hear Lisa saying, "It depends on each person or case." Anyway. I'll keep you posted as soon as I feel ready to write Wednesday or Thursday.
    Peace,
    Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Hi

Good luck!! Well, the tricky part is how soon you can lift over your head --which should be the longest time since you don't want those sneaky leads getting undone.

Take it easy, don't push yourself, your boss will have to wait. Your life and well being are more important!

Keep us posted,

Sarah

Comment

well each person is different :P
      BUT...
      1 driving is a major issue - if you must drive to work it will take longer to get back - normally 2 to 3 weeks.
      2. if you do not have to drive you may only need a few days out of the office - that is if you have a desk job, those with more physical jobs may need longer off.
      3. It is not all that bad ( I have done it 3 times!) Yes there is a little pain at the site where it is implanted but other than that not a really big deal.
      4. RELAX - I know the people that are taking care of you have ample experience and that you are in good hands.

I will keep an eye on the Godsquad while your out and even I am sure there will be tons of good wishes and prayers sent your way!

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

My experience with an ICD implant was not all that bad. The only thing was I ended up in the hospital for three days because my body did not like the anestesia they used. Dr. Linx did tell me that the younger you are the more pain you might experience. I was very curious with that and he said because the pain receptors were more acitive in a younger age.

I had my implant on November 1.2002. I flew out of Boston on the fifth to Florida. I had a hard time trying to get around at the airport baggage and then they would not believe that I had an ICD. They swear by those wands! I got patted down three times! They even made me take my arm out of the sling man did that hurt.

Otherwise I was back to work in a week and driving less than that. I also did one of my EMT clinicals at a week and a half. I am one of those people who overdo it and don't listen to well when it comes to taking it easy. I am getting better though ! And NO I am not normal.

Hope this helps!
        Mary S.

Comment

confession time - do not do as I did...
          3 weeks after my ICD implant I moved into my new home (talk about your low stress periods of your life )
          I loved my new home....except for 1 thing the wallpaper in the kitchen - we are talking 1968 burnt orange and avacado green with chickens and coffee mills...it was really really bad...
          So I took it down at 11:00pm with the help of my niece (who I woke up and said 'help your crazy Aunt'...it was summer so she had no school the next day )
          I then bought new wall paper and hung it up within a day or 2...

Ever hang wallpaper...you need to move your arms a great deal!

After the paper was hung and my arm was feeling better - I told my doc what I had done...he then gave he **** for moving my arms that much above my head and made me have an x-ray to make sure the leads were OK...

The point is I felt well enough at 3 weeks to hang wallpaper...even though I should not have done it...I did

Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I am a "lunch lady". I manage an elementary school cafeteria. Last Feb., I passed out at a motorcycle race, and was put in the hospital. I got my ICD implanted on a Wednesday, got out of the hospital Thursday, and was back to work on the following Monday. Granted, I work Banker's hours, normally 5 to 6 hours a day, but all on your feet, and going, going, going, all the time. There is lifting and a lot of physical activity involved. I was lucky enough that the school district I work for allowed me to add an extra sub to my kitchen, so the first 2 weeks I was back I worked 2.5 to 3 hours a day. Within 3 weeks I was back to work "full time" (for me).

Looking back, I can tell you that those first two weeks, I was exhausted. I ended up calling my GP for pain pills after the 2nd day back to work. I was having a lot of pain under my collarbone and my left arm. I got through the nights by taking about a quarter of a Vicodin at night. Anyway, my point is, if I had it to do over again, I would have taken at least a week, if not two, off. I feel like it probably took me longer to recover than it would have if I would have rested more.

I have had other surgeries in the past... reconstructive knee surgery, a hysterectomy, 2 arthroscopic knee surgeries, and 2 laproscopies. I feel like getting the ICD implant was the most difficult surgery to recover from. I don't know if it was because I returned to normal life too soon, or because I am getting older. I am 38, by the way.

I am doing well now, coming up to a year after I got the ICD implanted.
            Anyway, my advise to anyone getting an ICD implanted would be to give yourself some time to recover from the surgery, before you charge back into your life full time again. If you are like me, you could be getting some conflicting advise from the various Dr.'s you see. My surgeon told me that I had no restrictions after the surgery... his work was so good.
            My EP Dr. said, oh no, no raising your arm over your head for 3 weeks.
            I didn't know what to believe, so I charged right back in, thinking, well the guy who placed the device should know the best. I wish now I would have rested a little more after the surgery. It would have made the recovery easier.

Comment

Our 19 yr old daughter got her ICD 3 weeks ago & she recovered beautifully. It was implanted on a Tuesday & was discharged on Wednesday. She was given pain meds in the hospital, but didn't take anything more than an Advil upon arriving home. She was sore, but wasn't in pain. The worst part for her was keeping her arm down. Each morning she'd wake & it would be over her head since thats how she prefers to sleep!! She was able to drive one week later. As of yesterday, she's back at college & doing very well.

My husband was another story. He was much more uncomfortable. Roy, is chronically in a fib and when they tested the device the next day, he threw clots all over. His overnight stay turned into atleast one week. It probably took him about 3-4 weeks to return to normal & maybe two weeks tops for our daughter.

Looking forward to hearing about your recovery period. Karen

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X