If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD replacement time

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Midge Rollins Heart transplant March 04. Prior to that I had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I am an independent Norwex consultant. Visit my web site www.midgerollins.norwex.biz Find out more about Midge Rollins
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICD replacement time

Well, with everything else going on after almost 7 years my ICD needs to be replaced. Should be my last one as after a heart transplant I hope not to need one. It is scheduled for 2-5-03. ( ICD replace not transplant) I am hoping for a dual device and maybe get rid of my pacemaker too. New board looks great.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

best of luck with the replacement. I have had mine replaced, it was so much easier then the original implant.
    What is the your transplant status? are you actively listed at this point?
    Best wishes,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Yes, I am actively listed, just on hold until next week when I see about having a colon resection. Meanwhile I broke my ankle and foot in 3 places and am having surgery on the 15th. My plate is full and am hoping things turn around. Midge
      Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
      ICD&Pacemaker 1996
      Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
      Mom of Kaye.

Comment

ICD replacement

Good luck to you Midge!
        I went to my EP Monday and was told I have about a year remaining provided my ICD does not get much use between now and then. My battery is now at 2.99 and they recommend replacement at 2.55. 7 years is great. I am heading only at 4 years this summer..but I have had 6 shocks.
        You do have a lot on you plate now..Best Wishes!
        Julie E

Comment

Midge,

I'll keep you in my prayers. You certainly have a great deal on your plate, actually it's full! If it's not one thing........it's something else! Hopefully the transplant process will go smoothly & life can calm down some.

ICD Patients,

Can you tell me how long you've gone inbetween devices? Midge went 7 & I think Julie went 4. I know it depends on how much it's used, but I was just curious. Thanks.

Karen

Comment

my first ICD was implanted in 1997 and "broke" in 2001... I almost got 4 years...should have been longer...but I had a bad connection with the unit itself...Yes a welder nearly took me out...and I do not mean on a date!
            These are man made devices and as such are subject to human errors it is important to have them check regularly.
            Average life span of this generation of devices seems to be about 4-6 years. Technology is with us... they battery life is getting longer and longer!
            All the best,
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

At Andrew's last appoinment we were told his ICD is on track to need replacing within about one more year. That would put it in the 4 year range for total battery life. The strange thing is, we have been told it has never been used! Doesn't that seem to be a pretty short battery life for one that has not been "used"?
              Dolly~
              mom to Andrew(HCM) 21 years old
              Diagnosed \'95 age 5
              Myectomy \'96 age 6
              ICD implant \'99 age 9
              First ICD shock (X2) \'04
              ICD replacement surgery \'05 age 15

*And aunt to 7 year old Kenny who had HCM and suffered sudden death in gym class. (2/20/87 - 4/6/94)

Comment

Dolly , now I am not a medical prof. but I had my ICD implanted in 1998,and was told last sept to plan on having to replace because of low battery in about 1 yr . well that has come and gone and everytime I ask I am told that I have plenty of battery left . So I guess what I am trying to say is that some times a Technician may mis-interpert the readings ,so check with Dr about battery life and time frame for replacement . oh yea,now I have a dual chamber device that also paces me about 98+ % of the time and my device has fired 5 times that I know of. So it does sound awful soon for your Son's replacementbut check with the Dr .
                Allways remember you cannot control the wind!!
                However you can adjust your sails!!

Comment

Hi Dolly,

Thanks. 4 years does seem premature, especially if it wasn't used. The drs told us probably around 7-8 years, but sooner now since they are leaving the pacer on. During a stress echo on Friday it was noted that her gradient has disappeared at rest & w/exertion and they feel the pacing my be the reason. The pacer will certainly shorten the life span of the generator.

Take care,
                  Karen

Comment

Rich,

I see we posted about the same time, I just saw your reply. Your battery is going on it's 5th year while being paced 98% of the time with the icd going off 5 times. That's sounds better to me! I'm hoping for atleast 5years before it needs to be changed.

Can you tell me what it felt like when the icd fired? Were they appropriate? Thank Rich.

Karen

Comment

well Karen let me tell ya the first time it went off i thought someone had shot me !!,I had been outside doing some yardwork and i was doing the state workers pose (leaning on my shovel) catching my breath and when it fired I did a 360 went down on my knees and proceeded to walk back to house. taht therapy was 4 a-fib it was beating so fast it tricked icd into fireing. atleast thats what Drs say.2 more times for a-fib and 2 times for v-fibnone of them feel good although when you are in v-fib usually you are unconcious, so I guess tahts a good thing
                      Rich
                      Allways remember you cannot control the wind!!
                      However you can adjust your sails!!

Comment

Thanks. It doesn't sound like fun!! My husband has yet to be shocked. His v tach runs are getting longer though to where his device fires up and thinks about delivering a shock, but is diverted. His cousins went off twice & he said that it felt like a kick to the chest. Then someone else I spoke to said it felt like a violent hiccup!

Karen

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X