If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My primary reason for having an implantable defib. is...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mommy6
    replied
    Looking for feed back, advice, experiences with implanted defibrillators....my husband has hcm and this was suggested and my husband and I are scared of this big decision. Risks and unnecessary shocks are a scary thought. Please if anyone can share about the defibrillator that would be great.

Leave a comment:

• Tim West
    replied
    Re: My primary reason for having an implantable defib. is...

arm for six weeks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tim West
    replied

the procedure is routine and didn't hurt much for a few days.
    the hardest part is not raise your

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• nkslocum
    replied

I am 4 weeks post myectomy, not excited about anyone even touching my chest at this point but will be having discussion with surgeon regarding an ICD.Can anyone tell me how uncomfortable is the procedure?, how long is it uncomfortable? And any other particulars regarding your experience. Thanks alto to anyone who answers.
    Dr. R. Damiano at Washington University in St. Louis did my Myectomy
    Last edited by nkslocum; 09-12-2015, 02:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JMDeetjen
    replied

Got My ICD on July 15 at JH in Baltimore. My surgeon said the my hearth went CHB soon after the first .5ml of alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• wkevind
    replied

My ICD implant was ordered because my heart was stopping 4-9 seconds at a time (recorded by halter).
    I had a myectomy in 6/08 and have been feeling great since then, well at least after healing. I passed out briefly a few times and went to a new cardiologist who actually was very familiar with HCM, a rarity in my experience, and he placed the halter immediately. Three days later the ICD implant.
    I just had the ICD adjusted. They had the resting pace threshold at 74bpm, I could not sleep, adjusted down to 55 which allows my normal rate of 60-64 resting.
    It's only been two weeks so I'm still healing but now that I can sleep I feel 100% better.

Leave a comment:

• outlander
    replied

Been forever since I posted, right before I got my ICD. Multiple reasons, but mainly because I passed out in Petsmart on day. I've had it for 2 1/2 years now and don't regret if for a minute.

Leave a comment:

• lorirodefer
    replied

Getting my new device on 4/12/15. Got my first device (pacemaker) after myectomy; now with the SVT issues, they are replacing it. Nervous but know that it is what I need to do to stay on track with this disease. Thanks, Lisa, for keeping all of us so informed!

Leave a comment:

• ninelives
    replied

Originally posted by NOR35 View Post
    I got an ICD because I passed out three times in the past 1 and 1/2 years. This reason isn't listed in the survey.
    Did you pass out because of arrhythmia? That is why I have one..
    What activities were you doing when you passed out?

Leave a comment:

• NOR35
    replied

I got an ICD because I passed out three times in the past 1 and 1/2 years. This reason isn't listed in the survey.

Leave a comment:

• mbcube
    replied

I started a new job just a few days after implant. No one knew. Yes, keeping it immobile or down while sleeping is an effort!

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

It really is no problem, I've had mine now since 2003, and the hardest thing is keeping your arm down, let me know how you are after you have you'res put in

Leave a comment:

• NOR35
    replied

I'm about to get an ICD (Jan. 2014). Your words are reassuring.

Leave a comment:

• CarolinEOregon
    replied

I had a poor blood pressure response during my last stress test. I also had to wear a 30 day event monitor (that monitored all the time, but only recorded if it detected something that it was programmed to record) and on day 15 (day 14 I begged to stop wearing it) I had more than one run of ventricular tachycardia. I was sent to the emergency room during the night and had an ICD implanted on April Fool's Day 2013. Did you know those little monitors are equipped with to page a sleeping patient. I didn't answer the phone, so they paged my device.

Carol

Leave a comment:

• Chris B
    replied

I had a septal thickness of 3.6 and I had much scarring on the septal wall. Dr. Lever from CC said it could cause an electrical problem which could lead to Sudden Cardiac Arrest. That reason coupled with the fact that my normal HR was in the 40's and only got into the 70's with the stress test (so I needed to be paced). It was only common sense to me to get it done to start feeling better. They could not adjust my meds because of my low HR and they needed to be adjusted to relieve some of my symptoms. I am very glad and grateful to Dr. Lever at CC and am feeling better than I have in years!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X