If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank you HCMA For Saving my Son's Life

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

juliuskay Diagnosed 98 Find out more about juliuskay
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thank you HCMA For Saving my Son's Life

Kay - I'm so glad your son had the ICD - hope the Mayo trip goes well - watching for updates - Linda

Comment

Glad to hear that his ICD & the HCMA did their jobs!
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Kay, thanks for sharing. So grateful he had an ICD and that the HCMA is a part of our lives!Sharing joy with you and your family and thanking our Creator for His provisions.
        Theresa
        Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Thank G-d! Our community has lost so many; it is a joy to hear of one saved!
          Susan
          Diagnosed at age 53 in April 2010 (after having been
          "cleared" several times)
          Into running & cycling - cleared to continue at mild to
          moderate level
          Extensive family history
          Lost my mom, aunt and nephew to SCD
          St. Judes "Fortify VR" ICD implanted 8/30/2010 "Ces't Watt"

Comment

Last week we took both of our sons to the Mayo CLinic after Brandon's cardiac arrest event at school. Basically with Brandon they said "it's just something that happens". There was no change in his heart since our last visit with them in March. They've restricted him from PE for 3 months and then said to add a little in from there. Dr. Ackermann said there was no proof that running in gym had anything to do with the attack since he had stopped and was walking to the bathroom when everything occurred. One thing that I want to share with you that may help somebody else, they had his defib set not to shock unless it reached 240 BPM. Because of this, it took 3 minutes before his defib shocked and did its job. Very close to not making it in time.... too close for my likings. But, the reason they had it set so high was because he never had any symptoms or any signs whatsoever to indicate anything like this would happen and when he was first implanted he was being shocked unnecessarily because his heartrate would normally reach 220 bpm. They have now adjusted it lower.

My other son Tyler (14) was also checked again while we were there. Since the muscle in his heart had grown 3mm since March and since the episode with his brother, they implanted a defib in him too. Even though his thickness is still within "normal range". Thank God! I have been sleeping much better since the implant.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers.
            Kay Julius
            Diagnosed '98
            Defib 02 in St. Louis
            Myectomy 03 at Mayo in Rochester
            One son diagnosed at age 3 in 2002 Defib implanted 2004
            Other son diagnosed at age 14 in 2010 defib implanted 2010
            5 out of 7 siblings positive for HCM with Defibs, 3 neices diagnosed with defibs, 1 nephew (died suddenly at age 10), 1 great-nephew diagnosed at age 1 month
            Brother age 50 transplant in 09 at Barnes in St. Louis

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X