If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a Rifle

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

LindaSo Diagnosed with HCM 4/07 no family history. Myectomy 4/08. ICD implanted 10/08 Find out more about LindaSo
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Rifle

OK, I know this is a strange question or at least it is for me to ask it. Tomorrow, for the first time, I am going to be using a rifle. I'm always up for an adventure, so I said yes. First some airboating followed by a little "shooting". So, I was asked about being right or left handed (right) and where my ICD was (left). I don't see any problem with it, but shooting a rifle is not listed in my resume of skills. I'll probably laugh myself silly. Is there something that somebody knows that I should know? Not much time, leaving at 0730 tomorrow.
    Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
    Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
    ICD 10/08

Re: Using a Rifle

I do think that you will have to use the rifle on the opposite side from the ICD. You certainlly don't want it to kick back on the side of your ICD.

I know another HCMer who goes shooting, and as far as I know, that is his only precaution.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I agree with Cynaburst,

Especially if you've never used a rifle before, they have a tendancy to "kick" back. I would definitly use it on the shoulder opposite your device. I imagine a good "kick" the the ICD would bring some soreness - I don't know how it would affect the device, but I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.
      HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly W View Post
        I agree with Cynaburst,

Especially if you've never used a rifle before, they have a tendancy to "kick" back. I would definitly use it on the shoulder opposite your device. I imagine a good "kick" the the ICD would bring some soreness - I don't know how it would affect the device, but I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.

Hey great question. I will need to know the answer for this one. See Dr. Link at Tuft's on Monday to remove my sutures from the Icd. Added it to my list.

Bob
        Diagnosed HCM 03-2009
        6-2009 Evaluated at Tuft's ICD/Pacer implanted/diagnosed with DD and severe scarring/no obstruction
        8-2009 Evaluated at the Cleveland Clinic/Myectomy recommended/gradient w/Armyl Nitrate
        10-2009 Myectomy CCF
        11-2010 Approved for Transplant Listing

"I no longer live but exist" Bob in Texas.......

Comment

No problem with the kick back in my right shoulder. My ICD is in my left. Bob, I don't think you should have any problems.
          Last edited by LindaSo; 07-05-2009, 06:47 AM.
          Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
          Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
          ICD 10/08

Comment

I happened upon this old thread during an extended session of digging around on the site, and was certainly glad to see that the topic has been brought up. My situation is a bit different in that I don't have an ICD but am about to have a myectomy, and the question of how soon I am going to be able to resume shooting activity was at the top of my question list. I should probably add that I am not a casual shooter, I am an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor in Rifle, Shotgun, and Pistol and Defensive Pistol [concealed carry] and have been a competitive shooter for > 30 years. The surgeon's [who happens to be a duck hunter] suggestion was that eight weeks ought be sufficient for pistol and carbine, but he would advise great care before venturing out with a pump shotgun. The advice certainly seems reasonable. It is certainly a relief to see to see that the question has already crossed someone's mind as it was near the top of my list regarding activities.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X