If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacemaker/ICD implanted yesterday

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacemaker/ICD implanted yesterday

Well, to make a long story, short...I almost passed out at work the other day..was taken to the E.R., admitted and then transported by ambulance from a local hospital to Boston. My heart rate was running in the upper 40's for the most part. AFter a discussion with my EP in Boston, I went along with his recommondation to have a pacemaker/ICD implanted. Had a stress test the day before and my heart rate was not increasing with exercise..he said all the more reason to get this.. it has been very scary to me....was released today and when I am in the sitting position, I can feel pulsations near my stomach area...is this to be expected? I never, ever, thought I would be having this, this soon
    P.S. If anyone has this and would like to "PM" me, I would SO appreciate it...just would make me feel better to relate to others at this time...thank you

Cynthia
    Last edited by cynthiaG; 07-03-2009, 02:18 PM.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Pacemaker/ICD implanted yesterday

Hey Cynthia
    I know its a scary feeling when your body doesnt match your mind.
    I dont remember feeling any pulsations near my stomach. Probably because I was too busy trying not to freak out over the whole idea of needed an ICD.
    All I can offer is this.....now thats its been a year for me, I am much better , mentally. I dont even notice it most days and consider myself lucky to have it.
    A week before my icd, we had a surprise party for my friend Shelley, who had cancer. She was the only one I told. I told her that if she died before me, I needed her heart and I died before her, she could have my liver. We had a good laugh about it.
    Shelley died 2 weeks ago. She had just turned 40.
    This morning, 8 of us got together to plant a Cleveland Pear for her. Our Preist came and blessed it. It was cool. (We Catholics have blessings for everything!) I told the other girls about my ICD today.
    Boy, do I feel lucky to have it !! You will too, someday.
    Try not to waste as much time as I did !
    Take care !
    peace
    mariab

Comment

Cynthia I did PM you and responded to your PM. For the benefit for others it may be the pacing that is being referred to your stomach as in any new med or treatment our nervous systems respond uniquely and often I will feel funny sensations in my stomach area when paced and sometimes feel a little nausea with this as well. As your body adjusts to the whole package it should settle down but, do not hesitate to call your EP or the covering EP if you should feel badly or worse or something like this persists. It actually happens when I am sometimes just walking along or riding in my car roughly over a lot of bumps. Every time I bring it up they do not see anything except that I may have been pacing at the time and it was my atrial pacing that they think does it. Some of us are just more aware of the sensation.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Cynthia, I would talk to the dr. that implanted the ICd about the pacing you are feeling in your stomach. I am paced but do not feel that. It may be the settings on the ICD and a simple adjustment would get rid of that feeling. Don't let it go. Call as soon as you can (long holiday weekend now!). I doubt it will hurt you but it is probably disconcerting. I don't normally feel anything with my ICD/pacer unless it goes off!

Comment

When I first received my pacer/ICD, I was pretty freaked out about having a "foreign" object in my body. After a week of this - I decided that I needed to get over that sort of thinking, and now I barely notice the device at all. The only time I "feel" it, is when it's pacing me quite a bit. I haven't noticed the feeling in my stomach, as you described - mine are more like multiple "flutters" in my chest which are sometimes accompanied by a mild headache and the sensation of a heartbeat in my throat. I guess it's different for all of us. It seems more noticable while I am sitting at the computer or reading a book - maybe because I am still and more aware than I would be while moving about doing housework.

Hope this helps!

Dolly
          HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I went back into Boston to the ER and it was a matter of an adjustment to the pacer/ICD. He said that if the output is a little too high, it will cause that pulsating near the diaphram (something on those lines)...thank goodness it wasn't one of the leads out of place...he said that was another possiblity and they took a chest x-ray but is was fine. The thought of possibly having to open me up again was freaking me out...I am very sore as it's only been a couple of days. He explained that in most cases, it's just a small adjustment they have to make...I just wish I lived closer to Boston..it's a 45 min. ride each way, but it was such a pain that we had to go back the same day. Again, thank you for your support
            \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia, I am glad they got it figured out even if it made another trip for you it was well worth it. I have 3 hours to get to Mayo so it is not always convenient but am grateful to have them that close. Others live thousands of miles from an HCM center. Your discomfort will get better. Try an ice pack every hour for 20min.
              Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
              ICD&Pacemaker 1996
              Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
              Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Cynthia,
                Glad it is taken care of and thanks for coming back here to let us know so we can learn from your experience.
                Keep healing,
                Theresa
                Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X